Openmoko Beagle Hybrid
This project provides a PCB extension board and software to combine a Beagle Board with a Freerunner compatible display and case.
The goal is to provide a demonstrator and experimentation platform how a future modern state-of the art Openmoko device with ARM-Cortex A8 and UMTS could be (neglecting miniaturization). This allows to develop software and new user interfaces. When packing the board into a Freerunner case, one can provide sound (microphone, earset, speaker) and vibracall.
What it is good for
- experimenting with touchscreen and new user interfaces on Beagleboard
- learn how the OMAP3530 design works
- make it a mobile application development platform by adding a battery pack and a UMTS usb stick
- investigate how an Openmoko with UMTS and OMAP3530 feels (not from haptics but screen operation and UMTS speed)
- porting SHR, QtMoko, Android, etc. to ARM-Cortex A8, NEON
The project announcement:
Here some pictures of our prototypes (the final PCB will be rotated by 180 degrees to allow to access the SD slot).
http://download.goldelico.com/default/Images/DSC00435.JPG http://download.goldelico.com/default/Images/DSC00436.JPG http://freeyourphone.de/portal_v1/download/file.php?id=225 http://download.goldelico.com/default/Images/DSC00434.JPG
- PCB that fits into Freerunner case (top cover and middle part after cutting a hole)
- works also outside of a case
- Toppoly LCM interface (same display as used in the Freerunner - otherwise it would not fit into the case)
- TSC2007 touch screen controller
- Earset and Speaker connector (for Freerunner case)
- 2 buttons (AUX and Power)
- 2 dual color LEDs (in the AUX and Power buttons)
- vibracall driver
- headset jack to connect microphone, earset and speaker
locate binaries for MLO (first phase boot loader), U-Boot, boot scripts and splash screens, Kernel, Angstrom Demo Image, patches (config.tgz) and modules (modules.tgz) from http://download.goldelico.com/ombeagle/trunk
Please note that you have to copy them in a specially formatted SD card. Look into the makesd script for an example (WARNING: adapt to your system or you may destroy your hard disk).
Assuming that we don't get unexpected problems (e.g. vulcano-delay) with important components, availability is scheduled for End of May 2010.
The board can be preordered through: http://www.handheld-linux.com/wiki.php?page=Openmoko%20Beagle