If you just received a Neo 1973 here are some suggestions for getting started.
See FAQ for other Frequently Asked Questions.
Phase 0 (GTA01Bv3)
- Main article: Neo 1973 Phase 0
- See also Wishlist:Neo1973_P0_Review
36 developers have received their devices. 
Phase 1 (GTA01Bv4)
- Main article: Neo 1973 Phase 1
The Neo Base costed $300, with the Advanced kit costing $450. Both have now sold out.
See Neo 1973 hardware for what components GTA01B_v04 contains.
Neo Base -- everything the mobile application developer needs to enjoy the benefits of the first freed phone, the Neo 1973:
* Neo 1973 (GTA01B_v4) * Battery (1200mAh) * Stylus * Headset * Phone Pouch * Lanyard * SanDisk 512MB MicroSD Card * Mini USB Connectivity Cable
Neo Advanced -- everything the mobile device hacker wants to get down and dirty with the first freed phone, the Neo 1973:
* Neo 1973 (GTA01B_v4) * Battery (1200mAh) (2x) * Stylus * Headset * Phone Pouch * Lanyard * SanDisk 512MB MicroSD Card (2x) * Mini USB Connectivity Cable (2x) * Debug Flex Cable * Debug Board v2 (JTAG and serial console) * Ruggedized Toolbox with shoulder strap * Guitar Pick (for opening case) * Torx T6 screwdriver
You do not need the Advanced package to do normal kernel, or application development, only perhaps hacking on u-boot.
As described in Sean's post on mailing list (with some adjustments/corrections).
"Phase 2" (GTA02, "Mass Market")
- Main article: Neo FreeRunner
The device will hopefully go on sale for developers in future months.
Estimated time line
- GTA02v3 design finalized - DONE
- GTA02v3 power supply flaw found, GTA02v4 needed - DONE
- GTA02v4 design finalized - DONE
- GTA02v4 small number produced for Openmoko internal developer evaluation - DONE
- GTA02v4 thorough evaluation by Openmoko internal developers - In progress
- GTA02v4 flaw found, GTA02v5 needed - On hold while further development on drivers is done to ensure no further hardware bugs. - In progress
- GTA02v5 design finalized - DONE
- GTA02v5 small number produced for Openmoko internal developer evaluation - Done (around 20)
- GTA02v5 thorough evaluation by Openmoko internal developers - In progress
- GTA02v5 produced in moderate volume
- GTA02v5 goes on sale to community via web store
(For the very latest news, visit Community Updates, which also allows you to suggest questions or topics for future updates.)
It will have the following new hardware components:
* Atheros 802.11 b/g WiFi * Samsung S3C2442 B54 SoC @ 400Mhz * SMedia Glamo3362 Graphics Accelerator * 2x ST 3D Accelerometers * 256MB Flash * 128MB SDRAM * 2MB NOR Flash * 1200mAh Battery * 2 LEDs illuminating the two buttons. * u-blox/Atmel ATR0635 GPS * Bluetooth * 850/1800/1900 Mhz or 900/1800/1900 Mhz for GSM/GPRS * USB Host function with power
It will also lose:
* One speaker, becoming mono.
We will sell this device through multiple channels. Direct from openmoko.com, the price will be $399 for the Neo Base and $99 for the debug board.
Adds to the Phase 1 phone (see side by side comparison):
- 2D Graphics-Accelerator (in theory 3D - however driver is unlikely to be available to to lack of core dev time and inability to supply docs without NDA to third parties.
- 2 Accelerometers
- Faster CPU - S3C2442/400
- WiFi: Atheros AR6K (see also )
- Above from  and other sources
- 500mA powered USB host
- There will be no changes in the external housing, but internal plastics change.  
English • العربية • Български • Česky • Dansk • Deutsch • Esperanto • Eesti • Español • فارسی • Suomi • Français • עברית • Magyar • Italiano • 한국어 • Nederlands • Norsk (bokmål) • Polski • Português • Română • Русский • Svenska • Slovenčina • Українська • 中文(中国大陆) • 中文(台灣) • Euskara • Català