This page lists various images you can try out on your Openmoko supported smartphone and some #Other downloads.
As of October 1st, 2008:
- The phones ship with Om 2007.2. It is not supported by Openmoko Inc. anymore. But community developpers continue to work on it as the SHR project.
- The FreeRunner is a reference platform for TrollTech's Qt Extended (formerly Qtopia) distribution.
- The branch currently supported by Openmoko Inc. is Om 2008.9 (ASU), which is a minor upgrade of Om 2008.8. Based on that, the community made the FDOM distribution by adding lots of fixes and applications to it.
- The trunk tip is FSO, the next major release should be based on that. The Debian packaging team also track that.
- The big G did not make any announcement about an Android port.
The release directories can contain up to four files:
- a Root FileSystem image. These are the files with rootfs in their name. They come both as a .jffs2 ready-to-flash image, and as a .tar.gz ready-to-cp tarball.
- a Kernel image (files with uimage in their name).
- a u-boot bootloader (file with u-boot in the name).
- a splash image file.
Also, the archive directory contains two identical versions of most files, one having the date in the filename. For those convenience ?
One usually needs only to flash the phone with the root filesystem and the kernel image. The splash image is eyecandy. The u-Boot bootloader is a critical component, you don't want to install a new version of that systematically, but there have been improvements since the one released in shipping phones.
Om 2008.9 (ASU)
Om 2008.9 is an updated release of Om 2008.8.
- Main article: Om2008.9 Update
Neo FreeRunner images
If you want the exact bits released on September 19th, go to: http://downloads.openmoko.org/releases/Om2008.9/
If you plan to update your distribution, you may as well flash directly from: http://downloads.openmoko.org/releases/Om2008.8-update/
There is no need to reflash if you have installed Om 2008.8 and used opkg update && opkg upgrade. For older releases of this distribution, see Old Openmoko Distribution Releases
The bleeding edge: Om "base / empty" images
The org.openmoko.dev branch does not have any applications preinstalled other than settings and installer, and it is unstable for now.
Images for testing are at: http://downloads.openmoko.org/daily/
To get packages from testing, use this /etc/opkg/testing.conf :
src/gz testing-all http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/testing/all src/gz testing-arm http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/testing/armv4t src/gz testing-i686 http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/testing/i686 src/gz testing-neo http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/testing/neo1973 src/gz testing-gta02 http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/testing/om-gta02
unstable comes from the same branch, compiled with the AUTOREV flag. There are no images, but packages are at http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/unstable/
Reference: See "Repository and Images" announcement for details on other "Base image", "testing" and "unstable".
Once you have this base image, you can install the GTK+ telephony apps including gsmd, or Qtopia, or Mickey's framework. Check out the FDOM page for an idea of what to install.
Om 2007.2 images (GTK)
- Main article: Om 2007.2
Openmoko discontinued support for this release. The host that used to distribute it has been taken offline at the end of August 2008. Old images have been archived at http://downloads.openmoko.org/releases/Om2007.11/ .
Celtune offers different Images and a huge amount of packages (2007.2, pyneo, fso) for neo1973, freerunner and others. Celtune images can be found at http://rabenfrost.net/celtune/ .
Andy Powell maintains (or used to maintain ?) images based on the 2007.2 software stack for the gta01 and gta02. A. Powell's ScaredyCat images can be found at: http://buildhost.automated.it/OM2007.2/ .
FSO images (freesmartphone.org)
- Main article: OpenmokoFramework
Download Milestone 3 is here: http://downloads.openmoko.org/framework/milestone3/
The file system will be in a jffs2 "summary" file. A file with the extension ".jffs2.summary" can be flashed to the FreeRunner just like an ordinary jffs2 file.
Browse the source: http://trac.freesmartphone.org:8000/trac-example/browser
- Main article: FDOM - a Fat and Dirty OM based distribution
Download images: http://compartida.net/openmoko/FDOM/
Qt Extended (formerly Qtopia) images
- Main article: qtopia
Images are available on the Qtopia.net images page, make sure your browser sends referer Header when downloading. (Note: direct linking to the files does not work.)
- Find "Qtopia flash image for FIC Neo FreeRunner (gta02)" on Qtopia.net images (a tarball with both a rootfs and kernel)
- The "Developer root filesystem for FIC Neo FreeRunner (gta02)" file is a barebones root filesystem created from the 'FSO' image available from Openmoko.
- Find "Qtopia flash image for FIC Neo 1973 (gta01)" on Qtopia.net images (a tarball with both a rootfs and kernel)
- A Neo 1973 image is also available from here openmoko-qtopia-image-om-gta01.tar.gz
More Qtopia downloads
You might also try ftp.trolltech.com snapshots
Addtional packages can be added from the Trolltech feed for this image, found at http://qtopia.net/packages/feed/4.3.2/neo/ To get to these packages, you need to add the feed as a source in the Qtopia package manager.
SHR images (Stable Hybrid Release)
- Main article: SHR
There are no downloadable images yet.
If you are looking for a specific application instead of a full filesystem image:
- Main article: Community Repository
- Main article: Users Repositories
You can download CAD files here. http://downloads.openmoko.org/CAD/
Download Neo FreeRunner photos in various sizes for print and web use here: http://openmoko.com/press-press-material.html
Tiddlywiki version of wiki.openmoko.org
If you want to carry this wiki along with you and to use it offline, then download http://om-tiddlywiki.projects.openmoko.org/openmokowiki.html and store it locally, then browse through the pages which you think you need to have, click "save changes", so next time you open it all articles you have fetched previously will be available to you.