Wish List - Hardware
Some small hardware enhancement could be cheap, but very useful. Please add your ideas/wishes here:
- preferably in rotatable turret set into top of unit, so it can face in either direction, making it useful for video conferencing
Integrated WiFi hardware
- To sync data
- To access Internet when WiFi is available (at home, work, school, friends)
- For VoIP (this uses much power but maybe the user have the charger connected)
- for videoconferencing (as with AccessGrid)
- A blinking LED would be cheap and low power, good for informing the user about new SMS/Email....
- A simple alternative to this would be for one small segment of the LCD to be seperately backlit. There are typically many LEDs in the backlight, all normally on equally. This has the large advantage that you can display reasonable amounts of information on the bit of the screen that's illuminated. The disadvantage is the field of view is smaller, and it's comparatively dimmer, as the LCD absorbs some light.
- Note: the LED and button ideas could be combined: illuminated buttons
D-Pad and Buttons
- Adding a D-pad (to the bottom of the phone) and 2 to 4 buttons (to the top) would provide some tactile input controls, in addition to the touchscreen. They could be used as shortcut keys in the menu, or playback control when playing media. When the phone is held sideways, they can be used as games controls. (With touchscreen alone, gameplay options are limited)
- Could be used to detect when to turn of the display (if the low power IR signal is reflected) and activate the key lock. And could be used as a remote. iPhone has a proximity sensor.
Standard 3.5mm jack
Multi I/O adapter
- VGA, standard Jack (line in & out), standard USB
MMC/SD/SDIO slot (rather than?) miniSD or microSD
- Cheaper cards
- More durable cards
- Cards are harder to lose
- Wider selection of accesories, including SDIO accessories.
- More widely accepted format
- Only because CF takes too much room (or CF would be the wish, instead)
- See also Expansion Back, replacement backs with additional features.
Thumb keyboard or keyboard attachment accessory
- Could be slide out or clamshell (hinge on long side) design with an external OLED. The keyboard should be protected when not in use.
- Could be a clip on keyboard that attaches to the serial port or communicates by bluetooth (not preferred for permanent keyboard users).
- cheap clippable miniusb keyboard
LASER keyboard (can be a full QWERTY keyboard)
- someone knowing sth about the price?
- This doesn't sound like it is likely to be cheap, and (at least for myself) I'm looking for a phone/pda/mp3 player, not for a very bad personal computer with a tiny screen that I can barely read. If it were cheap enough, I suppose it would not be a problem, but I doubt I'd pay a premium for it...--Perry 14:52, 15 February 2007 (CET)
- I see. I thought sth. like that. In my opinion it would be better to implement an IrDA connector or use the bluetooth interface to connect to a small keyboard. So you could use it if you want but not everyone has to pay the price for such an exclusive feature --denis_std 19:47, 15 February 2007 (CET)
Ability to insert more than one Sim-Card and (if possible) connect to more than one network at the same time
- Advantages of a RFID tag? I would see a lot privacy problems
- The tag could be switched on or off. A nice feature would be a module able to clone tags. This would unfortunately probably be rather expensive.
powered USB 2.0 host
Dump the egg-shaped case design and go rectangular for more screen space
- putting the two speakers on opposite sides of the screen would make the stereo sound much more effective
Small metal frame for protection (like Siemens M65, only with more style)
free GPIO ports on a connector to allow easy, simple hardware extensions
Hardware acceleration for video playback.
3D hardware acceleration for 3D games, GUIs, etc.
Alcohol sensor adjacent to microphone. It doesn't have to be accurate, just has to detect any amount of alcohol on the speaker's breath. I understand this is a very narrow market, but alcohol is on every parent's mind.