It booted, but then complained that the process Application Settings in process com.android.settings was not responding. I tried clicking Wait a few times. Then I put the phone aside for a few minutes and the screen blanked. I reactivated it by hitting the power button, then there was a new error that the process com.android.phone had stopped unexpectedly. I clicked "Force close", which was the only option.
I saw the same error after clicking on the Open Source Licenses viewer.
Unfortunately this image includes a Skype icon of some kind. Do not want.
Basically nothing worked after installing. I received the "com.android.phone" error whenever I tried to do anything meaningful.
It also doesn't seem to like my SIM, as it complains that I have no service.
Looks like someone reported the Application Settings error here.
How do I get an account for the Trac instance?
To get adb working on my Debian testing amd64 box, I installed ia32-libs.
adb kill-server ADBHOST=192.168.0.202 adb devices
Note that it shows up as eth1 rather than usb0.
ia32-archive on my mipsel laptop should work but doesn't install right now.
Connecting with adb shell and running logcat, I see the bluetooth headset service crashing constantly. As per this thread, removing the APN entries seems to solve the problems.
Removing nonfree stuff
After starting an adb shell, "pm list packages" shows what's installed. But, "pm uninstall com.android.providers.drm" returned failure. So did disconnecting from the shell and running "adb uninstall com.android.providers.drm". "pm list packages -f" lists not only the package names but also the files that they are associated with. Trying to rm the "/system/app/DrmProvider.apk" file just errors because the filesystem is read-only, even after I remount it rw. Well, that's because /system is on its own partition. So, this seems to do it:
adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/mtdblock6 /system adb shell rm /system/app/DrmProvider.apk
Beta 6 has a bug in it so that the keyboard doesn't work for pop-up dialogues. This means not being able to enter information in the GPRS APN setup widget.
So, enter "internet2.voicestream.com" in a note via Notepad. With the note open, press and hold on the screen. The copy/paste menu will pop up. Copy All. Go to the APN settings, press power and add APN, then edit the APN field, long touch on the field, and select paste. Switch back (by holding down AUX and selecting) to Notepad, type the name for the APN (like "tmobile"), and repeat. But right now, with any APN defined, the phone application keeps crashing..
I also see mention of epc.tmobile.com for the APN, might be worth trying.
I tried the trick of turning airplane mode on, rebooting, and turning airplane mode off, after defining the APN, but that didn't help.
"/data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases" has the sqlite3 db with settings in it.