Known issues & bug pre-reports
Enabling Illume from the menu requires a restart of the phone- this is only on e the first boot subsequent boots should change almost immediately
- Phone sometimes fails to suspend after a received call #435
- Contacts: Not all contacts are loaded from the SIM always #156
- SMS: Writing an SMS that's longer than one line makes the first line disappear from the screen when one writes the second line. (couldn't reproduce, if you can, please report to trac)
- SMS and People: cannot write unicode characters e.g cyrillic (Reading is no problem) #138
- SMS : when sim card became full of SMS cannot receive any new but there no notification about it
- SMS: Not possible to call the sender of a SMS (no real bug, more a feature request)
- UI: There's nothing (no text/button) telling one should click in the black area to get to phonebook to select recipient in 'msgs' -> '+' or 'Tele'
- UI: No visual feedback of shutting down #93
- UI: when not in fullscreen mode (=illume enabled), one can't see the used profile in the home view
- UI: When shutting down Paroli the dialog asking to leave paroli in the background has YES/NO buttons in bottom left corner. When getting the error messages for failing with loading GSM&GPRS, the OK button is in the bottom center. -> not consistent
- ALARM: The alarm feature is currently not usable, it will be rewritten. Just don't try to use it :)
- No keylock
- SIM: If one by accidentally presses 'Enter in the PIN input view, it just accepts it and doesn't ask for PIN again but gives many error messages.
- SIM: Not possible to save on SIM card: all SMS's and phone numbers are now saved in the phone memory, not in the SIM card
- WLAN: Settings -> WIFI -> scan doesn't tell if it's searching or finished search with no results (foster feature)*
- WLAN: Settings -> WIFI -> Show the name of the connected network instead of the small 'scan' text (foster feature)*
- WLAN: Settings -> WIFI -> Scan: show the IP, if connected (foster feature)*
- WLAN hidden networks cannot be connected with GUI yet (foster feature)*
- RESUME: when USB-powered, FR shouldn't suspend, just turn off the backlight. -> (suspending kills the USB/SSH connection)
- UI: non-ascii chars (öäå etc) are shown correctly in the peoples list but fail in the detail contact view (fixed already?)
- RESUME doesn't turn on the screen lights -> one knows it's resumed only by touching the screen #149
- UI: Empty I/O shows an 'edit' button.. maybe it should be hidden and instead a text 'no logged events' could be shown? (should be fixed < 18/05/2209)
- After several calls Paroli freezes. It might eventually awake again some minutes later... (should be fixed 12-05-09)
- SMS: There's no feedback after sending a message #3 (should be fixed 12-05-09)
- SMS: When viewing a message, one doesn't see the name of the sender but the phone number (also when the number is saved in the phone memory) (should be fixed 12-05-09)
- SMS: One can try to send an empty message with no number added. Paroli stays waiting for something to happen unless you kill the msgs app (should be fixed 13-05-09, #141 #148)
- WLAN: Settings -> WIFI -> rename 'scan' to 'Networks' (done 19/05/2009)
- SMS: There's no character count in SMS view (should be fixed 13-05-09)
- GPRS settings: if one by accident clicks 'username', 'APN', or 'password' instead of Connect, one actually has to re-type it because the 'back' button doesn't work. (should be fixed 13-05-09)
- PROFILES may not be 100% reliable: changing the profile with AUX doesn't change it in settings -> phone (see http://scap.linuxtogo.org/files/0089ddba2f209e1bf6b8bc0f3c2279f2.png) (should be fixed 13-05-09)
Foster feature : a feature that is looking for a caring, loving developer to implement and maintain it
- do not require root privileges to run (use CAPABILITIES instead for example)
- Use "Illume" profile by default instead of "paroli"
- export\import of all contacts and messages (with proper handling of non-latin1 characters) to allow migration from om2008.12
- A 'busy' light/icon/something to tell 'We're busy, wait until we're done..' The icon would be shown when the processor load is 90% or more. This would give the user the experience of 'We're doing stuff for you' instead of 'Hmm.. I wonder if this crashed since it doesn't react to my actions any more...'
- or a 'watch/sandglass' icon (toolbar applet?) - could turn into 'busyball' on 90% cpu, and could buzz on failure
- Would it be possible to add a SMS button in the 'People' -> contact view. Now clicking the number calls the user (intuitive? Why clicking the name nothing happens?). Maybe adding 'dial' and 'SMS' -buttons there just to make it clear. #135
- Contacts: With hundreds of phone numbers it'd be great to be able to type at least the first letter, or two-three to be able to find the contact you want - or a 'super scrolling' to scroll contacts really fast. It's a pain to scroll the length of 20 screens for example..
- The date doesn't need the | -bars in the home view: it's | Sunday, May 10, 2009 | - the bars just make it more difficult to read
- renaming of I/O, Tele and Msgs in the menu to whatever user wants (use utf8 for non-latin1 names)
- The numbers in the home view showing missed calls or received messages could be bigger/colorful/something or even say 'one missed call' or 'new SMS received'
- GUI that'd list apps and let me select: 'Do not suspend when any of the selected apps is running' so I could add games, gps etc there and automatically disable suspending
- GPRS settings: maybe APN should be 'internet' by default, I think it's the most common APN?
- GPRS settings: how about reordering the items so that the connect would be first or last in the list.
- The button to 'go back / go to previous screen' keeps changing: In the menu there's a 'back' button (different size in different views) but in the people etc one has to know to press the top bar to go back.
- Maybe reordering the main menu so that the phone log would not be the first one?
- Incoming call / SMS lookup against the People database takes account of the number format (ie, if in People, Fred has the number +441234567890, and a call comes in from 01234567890, which is the same number but in UK-specific not internationalised format, Fred's name is not displayed). Would it be possible to match on the last 9 or 10 digits of the number, rather than the whole number? The chance of collisions in number space would be pretty small. #145 .
- add an option to hide your number on outgoing calls (CLIR); perhaps add a flag in contacts to do this for certain people automatically
- ability to configure AUX button usage (for example to set it up as screen lock similar to om2008.12)
- configurable time & date view (e. g. 07 15, 07:15, 07-15, 2009-02-12 07:15 etc)
- a fullscreen vala-terminal launcher app (with keyboard)
In this development phase its more error prone just reflash the phone as updating the paroli .opk package. (Because maybe other bugs are fixed outside of paroli)
First you need to boot into NAND (where you have already a working distribution and you can ssh into). To be able to manipulate the sd card (you cant manipulate the sd card, if you booted from it).
00. Install Qi into NAND, and leave the factory installed uboot in NOR
0. Boot into NAND using the factory installed uboot from NOR. Press and hold AUX and press power until the uboot menu does not appear. Select the boot option by pressing the power button. I have SHR in NAND. Any distribution is fine as long as you can ssh in.
1. download latest paroli .tar.gz: http://downloads.openmoko.org/distro/unstable/NeoFreerunner/fso-paroli-image-om-gta02.tar.gz http://downloads.openmoko.org/distro/unstable/NeoFreerunner/uImage-2.6.28-stable+gitr0+f19f259d3c1afde8eae53983fd19f61831927413-r2-om-gta02.bin
2. Boot the phone into NAND
3. scp the .bin and .tar.gz to the phone's /home/root dir. (you may need this command to be able to connect to the phone: sudo ip address add 192.168.0.200/24 dev usb0 )
4. ssh into the phone: ssh email@example.com
5. Umount the sd partition, where you paroli was (for me it was the 2. partition) umount /media/mmcblk0p2/
6. recreate ext2 filesystem mkfs.ext2 /dev/mmcblk0p2
Note: It is better than erasing everything from the sd card. It does not stress your sd card unnecessary. The alternative method would be using rsync. Never figured it out myself the proper steps (using rsync and not formatting the partition)
7. Remount it mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /media/mmcblk0p2/
8. Untar the fso-paroli...tar.gz into the sd card: cd /media/mmcblk0p2/ gunzip </home/root/fso-paroli-image-om-gta02.tar.gz |tar -xvf -
9. copy the uImage over (assuming you have Qi into NAND): cd boot cp /home/root/uImage-2.6.28-stable\+gitr0\+f19f259d3c1afde8eae53983fd19f61831927413-r2-om-gta02.bin . ln -s uImage-2.6.28-stable\+gitr0\+f19f259d3c1afde8eae53983fd19f61831927413-r2-om-gta02.bin uImage-GTA02.bin
11. Have fun
Here is a detailed howto how to set up a developer environment: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Paroli-developer-setup