English • العربية • Български • Česky • Dansk • Deutsch • Esperanto • Eesti • Español • فارسی • Suomi • Français • עברית • Magyar • Italiano • 한국어 • Nederlands • Norsk (bokmål) • Polski • Português • Română • Русский • Svenska • Slovenčina • Українська • 中文(中国大陆) • 中文(台灣) • Euskara • Català
Om 2009 is the next version of the official Openmoko distribution. The latest release is testing5 from June 16th, 2009.
Om2009 testing5 already has all the features most people need for daily phone usage: SMS, calling, phone book, call log, charging, suspend&resume, wifi gui, audio profiles, etc.
- If you've not updated your GSM chip firmware, it's Moko8 and REALLY needs to be updated. See GSM flashing
You can add a bind-home directory to the first partition (must be ext2 or ext3 ) of your SD card. On the OM2009 boot it will be mounted as /home/root. This way you can reflash your phone without losing anything in your home directory (Paroli contacts and settings, maps, etc)
Make sure there isn't a bind-home directory first
If this exists you are already using bind-home, otherwise keep following the directions below
mv /home/root /media/card/bind-home mkdir /home/root reboot
Installing OM2009 is simple as flashing an image. Actually that's what you need to do.
- Download! You need the correct fso-paroli-image and uImage.bin files for your device. There are also rootfs tarballs for installing onto an SD card. Freerunner or Neo1973
- Flash! Detailed instructions for Freerunner and Neo1973.
- Start! The image will boot into fullscreen Paroli and all of the features listed above will be available. To learn more about Paroli, see Paroli
Boot AND REBOOT! The first time it boots there some problems might occur but they're gone after the second boot.
Write your best tips here!!
- To learn to use Paroli, the phone software, go to Paroli#FAQ
- To import vcard -contacts to Paroli, check this
- To prevent suspending when USB plugged in: unplug usb until LED goes out, then plug usb in: you need to keep the device awake by touching the screen until the LED comes back on. (bug: http://trac.freesmartphone.org/ticket/381)
- Angstrom feeds Contain many useful packages including mplayer and ffmpeg. Run these commands to add the angstrom feeds NOTE: You will not be able to upgrade OM2009 after this, it will break!
echo "arch base 50" > /etc/opkg/angstrom-feed.conf echo "src/gz base http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/2008/ipk/glibc/armv4t/base" >> /etc/opkg/angstrom-feed.conf
Audio quality during call
- Audio quality is good by default for some Freerunners. Some units need a new audio profile:
wget http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/raw-attachment/ticket/2121/gsmhandset.state.new -O /usr/share/openmoko/scenarios/gsmhandset.state
- More info can be found here: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_Freerunner_audio_subsystem
- If you have problems with audio, try this:
- If audio works, load this module on boot:
echo "snd-pcm-oss" > /etc/modutils/snd-pcm-oss update-modules
- Allowing the FR to suspend or having the screen blackout while using mplayer will sometimes crash the FR
- Plugging in the headset will stop audio from playing out of the phone's speaker. Audio will not return until the phone is shut off or you receive or make a call
Bugs / missing features
- Screen lock is missing
- currently X screen saver is used during screen blank
- (Paroli) GUI to change ring tones missing
- (Paroli) GUI for Bluetooth missing
- Led indication for missed calls or sms missing
- Battery indicator support for GTA01 broken
- Boot time needs to be reduced to less than 2 minutes
- install udev-static-devices - caveat you lose bind-home
- use readahead to cache python dirs before starting framework and paroli
- use readahead to cache dirs for X
- remove unneeded startup programs ( ie portmap )
- prime GSM during init for paroli's use
- gsm0710muxd: "Modem does not respond to AT commands" #2257
- oeventsd rules ignored FSO #381
- Disabling suspend does not work #2296
When we set the very limited goals of OM2009 we had two goals in mind:
1. Give those members of the community who only wanted a daily phone, a distro they could use
2. Introduce technology that would allow the community to come together and improve on these basics
Community interaction, open development and user driven decision making are at the core of Om2009. Going forward this will be an effort with the community for the community. I invite you to join the effort to make om2009 with paroli the best Om-labeled distribution for the Freerunner.
How can you help?
Test the distro, let us know about bugs you find, or even fix them and send us patches.
Tell us about your experiences using om2009, what should we change, where can we improve?
Paroli has come a long way but it still needs a lot of love and optimizing, so if you are into python or efl, check out the code from git.paroli.org, join #paroli on irc and let's get crackin'. There are lots of things to do, opimd needs to be integrated and improved, the UI needs polishing, overall speed can be increased etc etc
More into Chat and email? Feel like writing a jabber/irc/xxx or email client that really fits the screen? Or do you know of one? Let's hear about it. This device has a lot of potential and we are so close to reaching the far corners, the kernel is in good shape, the framework is doing great and telephony apps such as paroli or the shr suite are steadily improving.
So, get your Freerunner in shape again. Flash it with a nice current distro and let it do what it was meant to do :)
Let's make Om2009 a community product, something all of us can be proud of and say "we did this".
Mirko/Openmoko at http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2009-May/048061.html)
- Paroli: http://www.paroli-project.org/ and Paroli
- FSO: http://www.freesmartphone.org and OpenmokoFramework
Please enable debugging as instructed above. Attaching frameworkd.log and paroli.log will aid in solving the bug.
Please search the bug list for you issue before adding it to trac. Some of these issues might be Paroli or FSO issue so you can also check their tracs for solutions or discussions.