Om 2009 is the next version of the official Openmoko distribution. It is currently under developement and should be released in Summer 2009 to replace Om 2008. It will be based on freesmartphone.org milestone 5.5 framework and use Paroli as GSM software
Below is the feature list for Om 2009. It's broken down into features that have been implemented and need testing, and features that still need to be finished. Since Paroli is the chosen phone application, many of the features come straight from Paroli project.
- incoming and outgoing phone calls
- sms incoming and outgoing
- simple phone book (no images)
- call log
- suspend and resume
- resume speed < 2 seconds - this is close but waiting on a kernel bug
- battery indicator - works for gta02 battery
- gsm indicator
- switch to elementary
- wifi GUI
- scrolling in UI - fixed by migrating from etk to elementary
- switching profiles
- in-call volume adjustment
- settings tool (this needs to be enabled by editing /etc/paroli/paroli.cfg)
Not Yet Implemented or Broken
- boot time < 2 minutes - currently examining ways to speed this up
- screen lock
- user changeable ring tones - works via command line
- bluetooth - support in FSO milestone 5.5, needs GUI
- led indication for missed calls or sms
- GTA01: battery indicator doesn't work for gta01 battery
Bug List and Known Issues
- gsm0710muxd: "Modem does not respond to AT commands" #2257
- illume: exit dialog is only 1 pixel wide (fixed in enlightenment devel version)
- after using the keyboard in Paroli it doesn't go away until the window gets closed (fixed in the devel version)
- In case of ethernet problems, add g_ether to /etc/modules file. (should have been fixed by now)
- If you've not updated your GSM chip firmware, it's Moko8 and REALLY needs to be updated. See GSM flashing
- Also update to the latest versions of qi or uboot bootloaders
The latest OM2009 and qi/uboot images are available at http://downloads.openmoko.org/distro/testing/
Installing OM2009 is simple as flashing an image. Actually that's what you need to do..
- Download! You need the correct fso-paroli-image and uImage.bin files for your device. There are also rootfs tarballs for installing onto an SD card. Freerunner or Neo1973
- Flash! Detailed instructions for Freerunner and Neo1973.
- Start! The image will boot into fullscreen Paroli and all of the features listed above will be available. To learn more about Paroli, see Paroli
Write your best tips here!!
- Add a bind-home directory to the first partition ( must be ext2 or ext3 ) of your SD card. When the system boots it will mount the bind-home directory as /home/root. This allow you to reflash the phone without losing anything in your home directory ( Paroli contacts and settings, maps, etc )
- To have log directory that isn't cleared when you reboot, the /var/log symlink needs to be turned into a directory:
rm /var/log mkdir /var/log
- See Paroli FAQ
When we set the very limited goals of OM2009 we had two goals in mind:
1. Give those members of the community who only wanted a daily phone, a distro they could use
2. Introduce technology that would allow the community to come together and improve on these basics
Community interaction, open development and user driven decision making are at the core of Om2009. Going forward this will be an effort with the community for the community. I invite you to join the effort to make om2009 with paroli the best Om-labeled distribution for the Freerunner.
How can you help?
Test the distro, let us know about bugs you find, or even fix them and send us patches.
Tell us about your experiences using om2009, what should we change, where can we improve?
Paroli has come a long way but it still needs a lot of love and optimizing, so if you are into python or efl, check out the code from git.paroli.org, join #paroli on irc and let's get crackin'. There is lots of things to do, opimd needs to be integrated and improved, the UI needs polishing, overall speed can be increased etc etc
More into Chat and email? Feel like writing a jabber/irc/xxx or email client that really fits the screen? Or do you know of one? Let's hear about it. This device has a lot of potential and we are so close to reaching the far corners, the kernel is in good shape, the framework is doing great and telephony apps such as paroli or the shr suite are steadily improving.
So, get your Freerunner in shape again. Flash it with a nice current distro and let it do what it was meant to do :)
Let's make Om2009 a community product, something all of us can be proud of and say "we did this".
Mirko/Openmoko at http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2009-May/048061.html)
- Paroli: http://www.paroli-project.org/ and Paroli
- FSO: http://www.freesmartphone.org and OpenmokoFramework
Please enable debugging as instructed above. Attaching frameworkd.log and paroli.log will aid in solving the bug.
Please search the bug list for you issue before adding it to trac. Some of these issues might be Paroli or FSO issue so you can also check their tracs for solutions or discussions.