English • العربية • Български • Česky • Dansk • Deutsch • Esperanto • Eesti • Español • فارسی • Suomi • Français • עברית • Magyar • Italiano • 한국어 • Nederlands • Norsk (bokmål) • Polski • Português • Română • Русский • Svenska • Slovenčina • Українська • 中文(中国大陆) • 中文(台灣) • Euskara • Català
Om 2008.8 is one of the many distributions that currently work on the Openmoko phones. You can compare a distribution with an Operating System on normal computers. It gives the phone all the software needed for operating. For more information about the different flavors, see distributions.
Om 2008.8 is the successor to Om 2007.2 and had ASU as a codename. It was launched on August 08, 2008. Om 2008.8 uses EFL for the launcher, custom UI applications and Qtopia on X11 for telephony. It is the first step from GTK+ on x11 to using multiple toolkits in combination. Om 2008.8 now supports EFL, Qtopia and GTK+ applications.
To see how it all got started go to Om 2008.8 Feature Plan.
Om 2008.8 was designed to be empty, for the very purpose of showcasing your ideas.
Think of our products as galleries. We're building the environment. Each one different from the next. You'll get all the free art supplies you could imagine because we want you to add your own meaning. You choose: consume, create, or both.
Either way you create your own meaning. It's about you.
Om 2008.8 allows you to customize your Neo in many aspects.
- Use the Installer to find apps and modifications for your Neo.
- Re-design themes by customizing your own Edje files.
- Source Codes are publicly available, allowing for customization all the way down to low level sytems.
- share your locations (Locations)
- you can use Locations to save your favorite spots and even send it to friends via sms. How cool is that?!
- share your applications (Installer)
- share your ideas with the world by adding packages to the Community Repository. It is a great database for all things openmoko and can easily be accessed by any user through the Installer.
Om 2008.8 Guide
A guide for getting to know Om 2008.8 : Om 2008.8 Guide
Flash Om 2008.8 images
Download Om 2008.8 images
These images are to be flashed to the NAND memory of the FreeRunner :
- For instructions on how to flash your device, please refer to Flashing the Neo FreeRunner.
Alternative : running from microSD card
You may install this distribution on the microSD card, in order to boot from microSD card. Tarfiles available here: . That allows you to keep another distribution installed in NAND (for instance to test 2008.08 while still having 2007.2 for default boot).
- Cannot make calls or receive SMS messages
- GSM not working properly after x hours
- No Pin-Dialog is showing up and so GSM is not usable at all
- Boot screen goes into sleep and never wake up if not touch during booting
- After long suspend, kernel thread events
- xglamo: performance decreases after a while
- Neo turns off before reaching x
- No Updates/Installation are possible or pings to domains because dns is not working. This problem occurs because the /etc/resolv.conf is empty by default.Add this line in /etc/network/interfaces:
up echo nameserver 192.168.0.200 >/etc/resolv.conf
This is to be inserted below gateway address and above the bluetooth networking. After this rebooting is required. Then go to /etc/resolv.conf and fill it manually by just using the content of this file on your local machine, or DNS address.
This should solve most off your moko side networking issues. If you need any other help please refer to USB Networking
|NOTE: resolvconf is installed so should probably be used|
- Usb-networking will not work until rebooted after initial boot.
- The Pin-Dialog by default just shows letters. You have to slide your finger up/down over the keyboard to make the numbers/uppercase/special characters appear.
- The installer app doesn't release administrative rights which results in not being able to use opkg. Sollution: run "killall packagekitd" (on the freerunner or when ssh'ed in).
There should be some official updates for 2008.8 setup soon, but in the meantime, you'll have to wait.
There are *NO* updates available for 2008.08 anywhere on buildhost.openmoko.org - the daily-feeds directory is incompatible with 2008.08 and will corrupt your software configuration if you use it.