(→Second run: space requirements)
|Line 48:||Line 48:|
* Restart to apply the new settings
* Restart to apply the new settings
==== Applications ====
==== Applications ====
Revision as of 14:12, 18 February 2009
English • العربية • Български • Česky • Dansk • Deutsch • Esperanto • Eesti • Español • فارسی • Suomi • Français • עברית • Magyar • Italiano • 한국어 • Nederlands • Norsk (bokmål) • Polski • Português • Română • Русский • Svenska • Slovenčina • Українська • 中文(中国大陆) • 中文(台灣) • Euskara • Català
If you want to use Freerunner with OM2008.12 as a usable phone and music player and internet device and gps device then there's so many things you have to install and configure before it's usable. It took me a lot of time to get everything installed and configured (and there's still some things to do). But now there's the Kustomizer, maybe this can make life a little easier. M.K@community
- 2009-02-06 version 0.2 released. GSM works again. Many fixes done - now Kustomizer can give you two different configurations, see here. Changelog and test run log
- 2009-02-02 First release. In this release GSM didn't work :(
The script is licensed with GPLv2 licence. The applications that it installs around the Net might have other licenses, check the original sites for more information.
Originally it was written to make it easy to try some apps after a clean installation for opkg.org application tests (review part one, review part two) and 'recover' easily after that but in the end it became a script that might be useful for others, too.
- Kustomizer will not fix your WSOD / BSOD / wlan connecting only once / etc issues
- Flashing 2008.12 will wipe your rootfs
- Backup all your important data - just to be sure!
- Kustomizer is more or less under development
What does it do?
You can run Kustomizer once or twice. Here's an explanation what happens:
The first time you run Kustomizer, it installes opkg.org repository, Illume-theme and terminal keyboard, files for better call audio quality, xterm. Also a CPU resource bug is fixed (qpe). A restart is required for this to take effect and Kustomizer will do this for you.
* illume-theme * terminal keyboard * wrench & qwerty buttons * opkg.org repository added * qpe eating CPU resources -bug fix * new gsmhandset.state for improved audio quality * Restart to apply the new settings
The second run will install the rest: applications, GPRS, link map direcories from µSD card, mokoservices and tap/untap etc. You don't have to make the second run if you don't want.
* Linking /home/root/Maps to /media/card/Maps * Loads of coolest applications & libraries * GPRS settings * Freerunner-optimized Navit config XML. Preconfigured to use the map or Europe in /media/card/Maps/navit/europe.navit.bin * Your custom script from /media/card/customscript will be run, if found. See example * Restart to apply the new settings
After the second installation, about 150MB of the 256MB rootfs is used.
Here's a list of applications installed. All might not be included.
Applications / Internet
* Midori * Minimo * Dillo-ssl * CenterIM * Pidgin * Wireshark
Applications / GPS
* Navit * GPSsight * Yaouh * GPSdcontrol * Orrery * TangoGPS
Applications / Config
* Mokoservices * Modified .Tap/Untap * ShortOM * Usbmode * Sortdesk
Applications / Games
* OpenTTD * Duke3D * Numptyphysics * OpenMooCow * ScummVM * Pong * XScat * Liquidwar * Moko-eightball * Ko-Dice
Applications / Misc
* Bunch of required libraries * MokoConv * Gwaterpas * Neon * Meooem * Mokox48 calculator * Ledclock * Qwo -keyboard * Mtpaint * Vala-terminal * Fbreader * Openmoko-mediaplayer * Ffalarms
Running the script
Script is available at http://www.kurppa.fi/freerunner/kustomizer
Here's the instructions what to do on your desktop to flash to 2008.12 and then what to do on Freerunner (over SSH!) to run the script.
## ON DESKTOP COMPUTER (written for Ubuntu 8.10 and newer)
## Prepare your memory card
Here are some things you can put on your µSD card that will be mounted to /media/card. If you don't have these, it's OK.
* /m/c/customscript - your own script that will be run in the end. You can write here all your custom requirements, I added the Finnish keyboard and some handy scripts, see http://kurppa.fi/freerunner/customscript * /m/c/Maps will be symlinked from /home/root/Maps. You can put your Openstreetmap map tiles there: TangoGPS uses this * /m/c/Maps/navit/europe.navit.bin will be used by Navit, preconfigured to do so * /m/c/Maps/navit/bookmarks.txt and destinations.txt will be copied to /home/root/.navit. These are the bookmarks and destinations for Navit
## REQUIRED PACKAGES # install required packages: # a) run: sudo apt-get install dfu-util bind9 # dfu-util is also available from http://downloads.openmoko.org/distro/releases/Om2008.9/dfu-util
## FLASH # for more details, see http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Flashing_the_Neo_Freerunner # download the required image files # b) run: wget http://downloads.openmoko.org/distro/releases/Om2008.12/Om2008.12-om-gta02.uImage.bin & wget http://downloads.openmoko.org/distro/releases/Om2008.12/Om2008.12-om-gta02.rootfs.jffs2 # c) Connect your freerunner to the computer with the USB cable # d) start your Freerunner holding the AUX button down to get to the NOR menu # e) run: sudo time dfu-util -a kernel -R -D Om2008.12-om-gta02.uImage.bin # f) run: sudo time dfu-util -a rootfs -R -D Om2008.12-om-gta02.rootfs.jffs2 # g) Start & restart Freerunner to be able to log in over USB ssh # h) Go to 'Settings' and change 'Suspend' to 'off' or Freerunner will suspend and the installation will fail.
## CONNECT # Connect over usb-ssh with shared internet connection # Don't run the script on Freerunner's screen! It can be done but not recommended if you don't know what you're doing. # Download a script to help you & change the permission # i) run: wget http://www.kurppa.fi/freerunner/fr_bind && chmod 755 fr_bind # j) run: ./fr_bind # k) First it asks for your Ubuntu -password to restart the interface & bind9 - type it in # l) After this it asks for Freerunner password - it's empty, just hit Enter # For more details check http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Usb_networking#Ubuntu_8.10_-_Easy_Way
## FREERUNNER # 1) Make sure you've turned 'Suspend' to 'off' in the Settings. # 2) Make sure you can SSH in over USB so that Freerunner has Internet connection (ping google.com?) # 3) run: wget http://www.kurppa.fi/freerunner/kustomizer && chmod 755 kustomizer # 4) run: ./kustomizer # On the first run it will install some stuff and then restart (to stop the qpe-bug). Then you need to repeat 2) and 4) and it'll install the rest
Let the author ( risto at kurppa dot fi ) know how did it go! You might not receive any help but it helps to develop the script further. If possible, please attach the log.
Good to know
- You start the GPS with the gpsdcontrol icon, not from the 'Services' -tool that doesn't know how to start gpsd
- Services -> gprs usually says 'FAILED' when you try to start GPRS but when you restart the app, it says 'GPRS ON' and shows the traffic counter.
- Enlightenment crashes sometimes, just click 'Recover' and you're fine again.
- For instructions how to manage icon folders and icons of apps you install later, check http://www.opkg.org/package_95.html
If you have some ideas of improvements please let the author know (see above). I'm not planning to create rootfs images or anything huge but there are some things that I'd like to see kustomizer do. Check the script for the current TODO.
- Development version: http://kurppa.fi/freerunner/kustomizer_devel
- Some log files: http://kurppa.fi/freerunner/kustomizer_files/
- Bug tracker in the talk page: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Talk:Kustomizer
If someone is interested and willing to work on this please contact Risto H. Kurppa ( risto at kurppa dot fi ). Moving to projects.openmoko is possible.
# Version 0.2 - 2008-02-06 # CHANGELOG IN THIS VERSION # (new) two run system: # 1st run: illume-theme, wrench, qwerty are installed, opkg.org, storage.conf/qpe-bug fixed. Then restarted # 2nd run: user needs to start Kustomizer again (and switch suspend/dim off!!) -> the rest is installed # Rewriting the instructions # General cleaning # (new) ntpclient # (new) http://www.opkg.org/package_121.html - MokoMaze # (new) ttf-liberation-mono (vala-terminal uses this) # (new) battery http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Forcing_fast_charge_mode # (new) runs /media/card/customscript - the user can add his own stuff there # (new) automatic prevention of suspend & dimming # (update) yaouh - version update # (update) neon - version update # (remove) Finnish keyboard layout & dictionary # (remove) custom scripts from card # (remove) cellhunter - on FSO-based only? # (remove) Guitartune - on FSO-based only and libfft fails to install # (remove) fourier - libfft fails to install # (remove) zomg and appmanager - less used.. # (remove) pingus - doesn't install # (remove) mumpot - useless for most # (remove) usbmode - battery replaces most of this # (fix) watch checkrate changed from 1s to 2s # (fix) libglade-2.0 -> libglade-2.0-0
- copy all the cool features from other distros and best apps from opkg.org :) No.. There's no roadmap. Fix things when they break or something. TODO is in the file itself