TouchKo's (now Wacom Company Ltd.) spatial capacitive "touchscreen", can sense fingers at a small distance, so you do not get your display greasy, and can unlike some touchscreens, be operated with gloves.
- touchko.com: Spatial Capacitive: Imagine getting a touch response from your display, without even touching it!, TouchKo Quote: "... June, 2007, Wacom Company Ltd., acquired TouchKo and will add TouchKo's spatial capacitive and resistive touch technology into its components portfolio..."
- Wacom Company Ltd.
I do not know how good or bad it works.
Thought educational example:
- If the Neo1973 detect a finger have pressed the screen, the Neo1973 should vibrate two short times and reply one of these:
- "You can touch my screen, but I also understand close proximity finger sign language.".
- "Do not touch my screen, I understand close proximity finger sign language.".
- Alternate use - this could be done without touching: Multi Touch (new touchscreen technology)