Configure SHR for German-speaking use
|Line 24:||Line 24:|
== Reminder ==
== Reminder ==
Please dont just edit away
Please dont just edit away without discussion. thanks.
--[[User:Zoff99|zoff99]] 17:04, 2 November 2009 (UTC)
--[[User:Zoff99|zoff99]] 17:04, 2 November 2009 (UTC)
Revision as of 09:36, 3 November 2009
|2009-09-01||first version with austrian stuff, and focus on everyday usability|
|2009-09-12||based on SHR unstable, and with opkg upgrade support|
|2009-10-03||Cannot satisfy the following dependencies ... libfso-glib0, that is an SHR issue, i hope it will be fixed soon|
|2009-10-03||moved name of page to "German", lots of docu updates, new images uploaded|
|2009-10-14||now with brand new SHR logo (I think I am the first to use it)|
|2009-10-18||geocaching added, it doesn't work too good, so don't expect too much :-)|
|2009-10-25||geocaching now sets route-target in agtl and also in navit, and you can drive with navit to the cache|
Please dont just edit away things without discussion. thanks. --zoff99 17:04, 2 November 2009 (UTC)
Overview, what is this page???
This article focuses on configuring SHR(-unstable) image for a daily use in a german speaking area. the author is Austrian so the main focus is on Austrian use. with help of other users it is also useable for germany, switzerland.
- get more feedback from people !!!
- get some of this stuff into main SHR branch
focus points (some are not provided by out-of-the-box SHR):
- GTA02 (sorry i dont have a GTA01)
- stable use as daily phone (calls, sms)
- keep install and use as simple as possbile
- keep reboot and crash frequency at 1/per day maximum (meaning only have to reboot once a day at most!)
- stable use as navigation device in german-speaking area, with understandable german speech
- only need to recharge once a day (meaning battery should hold 1 day in normal use)
- prevent neo usage from driving you crazy, because some litte things just don't work
- have all show-off and games stuff removed (it's fun for a while, but just a waste for everyday use)
- have at least 1,5 hours of time ready, for the whole procedure
- have fast internet, you need to download lots of stuff
Downloading Bootloader, Kernel, Root Image
- download exactly these versions of SHR from z0ph
1.  qi boot loader (~30 KB)
2.  kernel (kernöl ~2 MB)
3.  root image (~70 MB)
These are the original names of the files:
qi-s3c2442-1.0.2+gitr3b8513d8b3d9615ebda605de4bda18371aa3f359.udfu # 09-May-2009 13:23 28K
shr-lite-glibc-ipk--20090906-om-gta02.rootfs.jffs2 # 06-Sep-2009 14:08 67M
uImage-2.6.29-oe11+gitr119844+a3587e4ed77974adfb057af261aaeea4022018e8-r3.5-om-gta02.bin # 01-Sep-2009 23:13 1.7M
- flash qi, kernel and root image to your neo (i tested this on GTA02v6). Detailed instructions for Freerunner
The installation should be flashing like (do it in DFU mode of NOR u-boot):
dfu-util -a u-boot -R -D qi.udfu dfu-util -a kernel -R -D uImage.bin dfu-util -a rootfs -R -D rootfs.jffs2
i have found that (against what others say!) using the NAND for root-fs is the fastest and most relyable way. having the root-fs on the SD-card is slower and also files get suddenly lost or corrupt.
if you have an SD-card with ext2/ext3 partitions (optional step!!)
You can also use an ext2 / ext3 partition for this customization, so this step should not be neccessary.
Maybe you installed other Distributions on your OpenMoko before and you have EXT2 or EXT3 partition on you SD card and want FAT partition, then install dosfstools on your Neo to have mkfs.vfat available.
opkg install dosfstools
Format SD card (resp. partition) if and only if the format is not FAT and you want a FAT partition on your SD card.
mkfs.vfat -v -n maps-data /dev/mmcblk0p1
- boot up your neo, and let it run until you are logged in to your GSM net
on 1st boot, when asked choose:
<== put nice screenshots here ==>
Language --> choose: english --> press next Profile --> choose: Illume SHR --> pres next Menus --> choose: System Default --> pres next Quick Launch --> check NO box !! --> pres next Ok :-)
- then shutdown the neo (press and hold power button for a few seconds)
- boot up your neo again, and let the neo log in to your GSM network again.
Preparing your SD card (you need to do this!)
login to your neo as root and make the base dir
cd /media/card mkdir "____shr_testing"
download customize pack without navit maps and transfer this file to your Freerunner via sftp.
customize pack without maps (17 MBytes)
Or use wget from your neo if you have internet connection (e.g. via USB established)
cd /media/card/____shr_testing wget http://work.zoff.cc/openmoko/shr/de_at/customize_pack_shr_no_maps.tar.gz # 17 MBytes
Unpack Customization Pack
transfer the customize pack to your SD-Card (to /media/card/____shr_testing/) then login to your neo as root
cd /media/card/____shr_testing/ gzip -d customize_pack_shr_no_maps.tar.gz tar -xf customize_pack_shr_no_maps.tar
login to your neo as root to download (or update!!) the austrian map file do (you need fast internet on your neo):
cd /media/card/____shr_testing/navit/ ./get_austria.map.sh # this will download about 350 MBytes!!
cd /media/card/____shr_testing/navit/ ./get_germany.map.sh # this will download about 380 MBytes!!
cd /media/card/____shr_testing/navit/ ./get_germany.map.sh # this will download about 80 MBytes!!
or to download your map manually, visit:
and put it in this directory /media/card/____shr_testing/navit/ and navit will use it automatically
or have a look at some preconfigured downloads:
at the moment you can have ONLY 1 .bin map file in that directory. so if you already have the german map file and want the austrian map file, you have to delete one of them. it's a navit bug.
If you want to use other type of maps you must edit the navit.xml file, for further information see Navit-article.
- for GOD's sake try NOT to get any phonecalls while you do this part
(power up your phone without a SIM card --> this i don't recommend, but you can try it)
- now connect your neo with usb and login via ssh
- you NEED internet on your neo for this, otherwise dependent packages can't be downloaded
- start (as root on your neo):
cd /media/card/____shr_testing/ ./init_shr_testing.sh
- this will take some time !! have coffee ready :-)
- wait for the customize script to finish
- now at least reboot 1 time (better 2 times)
- [UG1] now start (also as root on your neo):
mdbus -s org.freesmartphone.ousaged /org/freesmartphone/Usage org.freesmartphone.Usage.SetResourcePolicy Display enabled opkg update opkg remove -force-depends libfso-glib0 mdbus -s org.freesmartphone.ousaged /org/freesmartphone/Usage org.freesmartphone.Usage.SetResourcePolicy Display enabled opkg install http://build.shr-project.org/shr-unstable/ipk/armv4t/libfso-glib0_0.2.1+gitr47+7608c8d98bb65bb5beca6621eb86920b71df1bc9-r0_armv4t.ipk mdbus -s org.freesmartphone.ousaged /org/freesmartphone/Usage org.freesmartphone.Usage.SetResourcePolicy Display enabled opkg upgrade -force-defaults
dependency issue (should be fixed with the above)
ERROR: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for fsousaged: libfso-glib0 (>= 0.2.1+gitr47+7608c8d98bb65bb5beca6621eb86920b71df1bc9)
- [UG2] when finished start as root:
cd /media/card/____shr_testing/ ./do_upgrade_shr.sh
- hopefully no errors have occured
- [UG1] [UG2] repeat those 2 steps every few days, if you want (dare) to receive all the bleeding edge updates
- reboot your neo, and let the neo login to your GSM network
- now navit should have austrian maps, and speak in german to you :-)
- you can suspend/resume anytime! even when navit is speaking! yeah really, it works
- date and time should also be correct
- press AUX button quick and zedlock should come up, draw a big "Z" to unlock again
- hold POWER button for 2 seconds, and neo will shutdown
- if shutdown with POWER button fails, go to illume home screen, pull down the menu and press the big red "X", a menu should appear
Test it (german)
- Navit sollte alles in deutsch anzeigen, österreichkarten laden und vor allem der Neo sollte beim Laufen von Navit nicht blanken oder suspenden.
|0:00||press button to boot neo|
|0:17||splash logo visible|
|1:29||enlightenment splash screen visible|
|2:02||illume topshelf visible|
|2:28||illume desktop icons visible|
|3:34||GSM logged in|
those times seem pretty catastrophic in comparison to a normal mobile phone yet for the neo they are really not so bad :-)
- please give some feedback
- German keyboard, with German dictionary (word list)
- Gridpad keyboard, bubble-keyboard, literki-keyboard, qwo-keyboard (if you want this you can set it in the enlightenment config "wrench" under Keyboard section)
on first start choose language (german i guess), then enter name and password. can be anything, and you really don't need to remember it later. if you can't get AGPS working where you are, just wait for a GPS fix and upload that data to cellhunter. now you can instantly use it for AGPS, isn't that nice ...
you can configure it in /etc/agps-online.conf
[config] user=XX@YY.com password=mypassword
small webbrowser, usable but not really the best
Moko... mokomaze, you might know it from some mobile phones
Mokonnect, scans for WLAN networks, and does some other stuff (i have NOT yet successfully connected to any WLAN networks)
Navit version from SVN. it shows full austria,german und switzerland map. speaks to you in german. it takes almost all CPU you have, so don't push it too far. otherwise it works very well.
shr-settings from SHR. runs really fine. I just made some small changes
use this great program ONLY as a last resort. it does NOT play well together with FSO and frameworkd
Intone music player. put your music files in /media/card/music/ directory
- zedlock (no icon, use AUX button)
great screen locker. draw a big "Z" on the screen in 1 second to unlock screen
- gpe-scap (no icons, only command line)
login via ssh to your neo. start
export DISPLAY=:0 ; gpe-scap
on commandline to make a screenshot.
- sms-sentry (no icon, send sms)
Send sms with text "sentry<passwd>:location" to your neo, and get an sms with current position back. default passwd is '12345'. you can confiure it in /etc/sms-sentry