(add mokomaze, omhacks, SHR RC2 and clean up. no Applications section this time.)
Revision as of 17:16, 31 January 2011
Period 2010-12-01 to 2011-01-31
In this issue there is a dedicated section to hardware. There has been no such section in the Community Updates mainly because after the 2008 launch of Neo FreeRunner, there hasn't been continuation to the Openmoko Inc's pioneering phone hardware with (mostly) CC-BY-SA schematics, 100% free software stack and all the other freedom joy... until now.
GTA04 is a project by the long time distributor and hw developer, German company Golden Delicious. The name is loaned from Openmoko project because of the spiritual continuation - GTA01 was the codename for Neo1973, GTA02 was the Neo FreeRunner, and GTA03 was the canceled successor product. Besides offering improved versions of Neo FreeRunner (better battery life, better audio output), they've a complete replacement board planned to fit an existing Neo FreeRunner case and use the existing display.
The key details of GTA04 include among else:
- OMAP3530 ARMv7 CPU
- UMTS/3G (HSPA)
- USB 2.0 OTG
- WLAN, BT, FM transceiver
- Barometric Altimeter, Accelerometer, Compass, Gyroscope
- Optionally camera
Find your GTA04 information at the following addresses:
- http://www.gta04.org/ - technical: u-boot, kernel, Debian...
- http://www.handheld-linux.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04 - shopping page
- http://www.handheld-linux.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04-Early-Adopter - the early adopter program, although already finished
- gta04-owner mailing list founded, although occasionally you will find news also from the openmoko-community list among else; join the list at http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/gta04-owner/
- First engineering sample (GTA04A2) is working in PDA mode (U-Boot in NAND Flash)
- GTA04A3 is getting final PCB layout fine tuning
- UMTS (3G) modules have arrived. And GTA04 likely to have 512 MB RAM, 512 MB NAND Flash and 1GHz DM3730 CPU. http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/gta04-owner/2011-January/000025.html
Visit the FOSDEM in Brussels, Belgium next weekend (5th/6th of February, 2011) to see GTA04 in action and discuss about it! See http://fosdem.org/2011/ , http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/FOSDEM_2011 , http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2010-December/063899.html
Distributions lists releases and other significant updates in distributions that have some support for the Openmoko devices.
Debian is a universal operating system used on many embedded devices, servers and home computers. Using Debian on the FreeRunner gives access to the huge army of software packaged in the Debian repositories, already compiled for the Neo's ARM(v4) processor. Moreover, one can build one's own source files for programs without having to learn the OpenEmbedded way. For an existing Debian/Ubuntu user, choosing Debian for Neo FreeRunner makes phone a very familiar, trustworthy and flexible place to hack in.
|SHR-testing RC1 & RC2
The image is based on the 2010.12 release of OpenEmbedded and has latest versions of E, SHR and FSO apps. Since last testing a lot has changed:
Most important and change making mails on the mailing lists, blogs etc.. Coolest hacks, screenshots, themes etc..
- CELF are seeking embedded project proposals for 2011. Get paid to work on OM/FSO/SHR stuff!!! Ideas thread: http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2010-December/063924.html
- Neil Jerram experimented with a Calypso modem driver in oFono, together with telepathy-ring and empathy, to try out FreeRunner's modem with an entirely different stack than FreeSmartphone.Org! http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2010-December/063927.html
- 2011-01-24 Mobile FOSS MiniConf at LCA2011 announced a call for papers that closes on Friday 22nd October 2010. So submit something about OpenMoko today!