This is my personal page.
True plug-and-play experience using usb networking
First time installation
I installed a second Freerunner, and I collect here the necessary steps, to install a distro on it.
- Installing Qi
- Installing SHR to NAND
- Checking if I have the latest GSM firmware (calypso firmware: moko11)
- Installing SHR/OM2009 to the SD card
The best to use openmoko experimental for qi. I used qi-s3c2442-1.0.2+gitr243+36bb5c03756268ff15b2d95a043ffb39a919ce5c.udfu as of 2009-08-30.
Installation Please refer to Qi page, if you want to digg more.
- Check if 'dfu-util' is installed on your computer, if not install it. (I use ubuntu here)
apt-get install dfu-util
- Connect an USB cable and turn off the Neo Freerunner
- Turn on the Neo by pressing AUX and POWER button at the same time until NOR uboot menu does not appear.
|NOTE: if you dont press AUX for 30 sec, the Freerunner will automatically switch off (repower it the with the same method)|
- Issue the following command as root:
sudo bash dfu-util -a u-boot -R -D qi-s3c2442-1.0.2+gitr243+36bb5c03756268ff15b2d95a043ffb39a919ce5c.udfu
the output is something like:
root@lamagep:~/Asztal/down/openmoko/qi# dfu-util -a u-boot -R -D qi-s3c2442-1.0.2+gitr243+36bb5c03756268ff15b2d95a043ffb39a919ce5c.udfu dfu-util - (C) 2007-2008 by OpenMoko Inc. This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY . Opening USB Device 0x0000:0x0000... Claiming USB DFU Runtime Interface... Determining device status: state = appIDLE, status = 0 Device really in Runtime Mode, send DFU detach request... Resetting USB... Opening USB Device... Found Runtime: [0x1d50:0x5119] devnum=20, cfg=0, intf=0, alt=1, name="u-boot" Claiming USB DFU Interface... Setting Alternate Setting ... Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0 dfuIDLE, continuing Transfer Size = 0x1000 bytes_per_hash=571 Starting download: [##################################################] finished! state(2) = dfuIDLE, status(0) = No error condition is present Done! Resetting USB to switch back to runtime mode root@lamagep:~/Asztal/down/openmoko/qi#
Installing SHR to NAND
Having a working distrib in the NAND means, that you can use your freerunner as a uSD card reader, and install the newest distribs to uSD card.
|NOTE: Using you phone from NAND is not as fast as booting directly from uSD card. So I recommend to use your phone from uSD card on daily basis|
comment: strange, I have exactly the opposite experience. nand is much faster and more relyable for daily use, than SD-card.
--zoff99 20:30, 14 October 2009 (UTC)
- Get the relevant sources
- kernel uImage (NAND): http://build.shr-project.org/shr-unstable/images/om-gta02/uImage-2.6.29-oe11+gitr119838+2d158aae9d8d36f575504f59884ed8e80802efe2-r3.5-om-gta02.bin
- root fs for NAND: http://shr.bearstech.com/shr-unstable/images/om-gta02/shr-lite-glibc-ipk--20090808-om-gta02.rootfs.jffs2
- root fs for uSD(uSD does not require uImage...bin): http://build.shr-project.org/shr-unstable/images/om-gta02/shr-lite-glibc-ipk--20090808-om-gta02.rootfs.tar.gz
- Turn on the Freerunner with uBoot NOR (press and hold AUX button and press and hold POWER button until the boot screen does not come up. The same steps as above when we flashed qi)
- Flash kernel and rootfs for NAND:
sudo dfu-util -a rootfs -R -D shr-lite-glibc-ipk--20090808-om-gta02.rootfs.jffs2 sudo dfu-util -a kernel -R -D uImage-2.6.29-oe11+gitr119838+2d158aae9d8d36f575504f59884ed8e80802efe2-r3.5-om-gta02.bin
Checking GSM firmware version
- launch shr
- launch terminal application, and after:
> mickeyterm > AT+CGMR +CGMR: "GSM: gsm_ac_gp_fd_pu_em_cph_ds_vc_cal35_ri_36_amd8_ts0-Moko11"
Installing SHR to uSD
- Max 4 partition is permitted (additional partitions requires heavy tweakings)
- Here is a small partition tip for uSD. I prefer to partition into 3 the uSD card.
One for current distrib, one for newer distrib (to try out), one for the /home dir, for easy upgrading.
- In case of 512MB(only one distrib): 256MB for distrib, 256MB for /home
- In case of 4GB: 512MB for distrib1, 512MB for distrib2, 3GB for /home
These are some paroli related links.
FSO daemons and interface names
Two concurrent implementation: frameworkd (python), and cornucopia (vala)
Currently(20090906) on shr unstable are running the following daemons:
- python /usr/bin/frameworkd
Summary of dbus service and process and interface
|DBus object||dbus service||process name||vala/python||info/remarque/explanation|
|org.freesmartphone.ousaged||/org/freesmartphone/Usage||python /usr/bin/frameworkd||python||For more info please see: org.freesmartphone.Usage|
|org.freesmartphone.ogsmd||/org/freesmartphone/GSM/Device||python /usr/bin/frameworkd||python||For more info please see: org.freesmartphone.GSM|
Mobile browsers review
|Mouse Gesture||Freerunner (proposed function)||Other mobile phones uses this||requires multitouch|
|double click||zoom in||nokia n900, opera mobile||no|
|triple click||zoom out||opera mobile||no|
|move your finger clockwise||(stepless) zoom in until you stop the circles||n900||no|
|move your finger anti-clockwise||(stepless) zoom out until you stop the circles||n900||no|
|push and move your finger immediatly||panning||iphone, n900||no|
|push and hold your finger, while a small animation appear, move after||zoom in and out||Samsung Jet (not released yet)||no|
|push with two fingers and move||not possible||two finger scrolling(macosx)||yes|
|push with two fingers and shorten the distance||not possible||zoom out (iphone, palm pre, macosx)||yes|
|push with two fingers and distance them||not possible||zoom in (palm pre, iphone, macosx)||yes|
+------------titlebar-+-++-------------------+ | www.example.com |X|| google searchbox | +---------------------+-++-------------------+ | | | | | | | Website rendered | | | | | | | | | +-------+-------+Bottombar+---------+--------+ | < | > | + | book | pages | +-------+-------+---------+---------+--------+
three browser comparison(iphone vs. palm pre vs. blackberry): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIzr2cdQywk