Just some notes from playing with my Freerunner
What am I trying to do? I want to run a full Linux distro on my Freerunner, with Debian the obvious choice, AND have it work as a usable telephone at the same time.
Choice of Desktop and Window Manager
I started with XFCE/matchbox, which worked pretty nicely but could be painfully slow. I just figured that came with the terrain of trying to run a full windows manager on such a small box.
Yesterday I changed to LXDE/openbox - what a difference! Much smarter, more responsive, it's almost a new machine. Never going back.
Paroli under Debian
Lately I've been playing with Paroli. I had it almost working for a while, but now it seems to be broken again. I'll write down how I installed it another time.
But just for reference, the main reason why I had trouble making it work appears to be incompatibility with the version of framework that is currently packaged with Debian. right now I think I'm going to make do with what I have.
A minor though annoying problem under LXDE (didn't happen with XFCE) is that windows are launched as tiny little things (I first thought it was a glitch in X) and have to be maximised before they can be used.
But the things that didn't work include:
- the BTConnected thing in frameworkd.conf
- playing a .wav file on SMS reception - solved simply and sensibly be encoding it as an .ogg
- the SMS Vibration function not yet implemented.
Some bus and fixes
- Unable to establish connection with FAM. Do you have "FAM" or "Gamin" installed and running?
- Could not connect to wicd-s D-Bus interface. Check the wicd log for error messages. FIX: install notification-daemon (maybe? - still not working)
- [elm_win.c:335] elm_win_add() elementary: ERROR. Cannot create window. FIX: install libevas-svn-03-engines-x
No GPS with "Discarded data not UBX" errors ad infinitum in the framework log. Problem and fix are described here: http://email@example.com/msg01613.html In short "rm /var/lib/freesmartphone/ogpsd.pickle" And the real fix is apparently here: http://git.freesmartphone.org/?p=framework.git;a=commitdiff;h=5271e445b327c2132eee6a1f43fcf58c37c67e00
Even though it seems to work now (well it got a fix once so far) it's very slow. It's much faster using other distros running from NAND. Might be the SD/GPS problem described here: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/FreeRunner_GPS_Software_Fix_TTFF_Measurement_Test
Problems with ar6000 wifi. Arggghhhh!!! Now I'm getting this: http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-fso-maint/2009-March/000844.html Things OK if I disable wicd, but I need it for wifi config. Bah!