Just some notes from playing with my Freerunner
What am I trying to do? I want to run a full Linux distro on my Freerunner, with Debian the obvious choice, AND have it work as a usable telephone at the same time.
Choice of Desktop and Window Manager
I started with XFCE/matchbox, which worked pretty nicely but could be painfully slow. I just figured that came with the terrain of trying to run a full windows manager on such a small box.
Yesterday I changed to LXDE/openbox - what a difference! Much smarter, more responsive, it's almost a new machine. Never going back.
Paroli under Debian
Lately I've been playing with Paroli. I had it almost working for a while, but now it seems to be broken again. I'll write down how I installed it another time.
But just for reference, the main reason why I had trouble making it work appears to be incompatibility with the version of framework that is currently packaged with Debian. right now I think I'm going to make do with what I have.
A minor though annoying problem under LXDE (didn't happen with XFCE) is that windows are launched as tiny little things (I first thought it was a glitch in X) and have to be maximised before they can be used.
But the things that didn't work include:
- the BTConnected thing in frameworkd.conf
- playing a .wav file on SMS reception - solved simply and sensibly be encoding it as an .ogg
- the SMS Vibration function not yet implemented.
Some bus and fixes
- Unable to establish connection with FAM. Do you have "FAM" or "Gamin" installed and running?
- Could not connect to wicd-s D-Bus interface. Check the wicd log for error messages. FIX: install notification-daemon (maybe? - still not working)
- [elm_win.c:335] elm_win_add() elementary: ERROR. Cannot create window. FIX: install libevas-svn-03-engines-x