This article defines the second revision of the Today Application, an application designed for the OpenMoko platform.
The Today application is the entry point for the user. It therefore resides on the 'desktop' of the phone, and is used for the following: 1) Quickly finding out the status of phone & calender related items. 2) Launch a new application. 3) Manage running applications i.e. Switch to or close a running application.
Here are some possible use cases:
- I want to be able to view at a glance today's Calendar Events and To Do Items.
- I want to launch an application.
- I want to switch to a running application.
(Italics = Done, Bold = In progress)
- View network provider
- Overview of missed calls and unread messages
- Overview of future events, tasks and alarms
- Lock the phone to prevent accidental touch-screen press
- Launch core applications
- Launch dialer to view missed calls
- Launch messages application to view unread messages
- View all applications, with descriptions
- Launch a selected application
- Filter all applications by category
- Filter all applications on name and description by custom search string
- View running applications
- Switch to running application
- Close running application
- Close all running applications
- 1) Title -- This is a global panel applet which automatically sets the title to the currently running application. It also provides a quick way to switch between running applications.
- 2) Phone Group -- Has the network operator as the title, and shows the number of missed calls and unread SMS's.
- 3) Calender Group -- Shows the time and date as the title, and has a list of calender items, todo's and reminders.
- 4) Main Page -- Current page.
- 5) Launch Task Page -- Switches to the Launch Task page, where the user can browse and launch applications.
- 6) Running Tasks Page -- Switches to the Running Tasks page, where the user can switch to or close running applications.
- 7) Quick Launch -- A tool-bar housing the most used applications.
Launch Task Page
- 1) Title
- 2) Application List -- A list of available applications.
- 3) Today Page -- Switches to the Today page.
- 4) Launch Task Page -- Current Page.
- 5) Running Tasks Page -- Switches to the Running Tasks page, where the user can switch to or close running applications.
- 6) Search/Filter Menu -- This is used to filter the applications, either by clicking the search icon and typing in a string, or by clicking on the filter menu and choosing an application group.
Running Tasks Page
- 1) Title
- 2) Switch To -- Switches to the highlighted application.
- 3) Close -- Closes the highlighted application.
- 4) Close All -- Closes all the running applications.
- 5) Today Page -- Switches to the Today page.
- 6) Launch Task Page -- Switches to the Launch Task page.
- 7) Running Tasks Page -- Current Page.
- 8) List Of Running Applications