I think the functions should be limited to:
1. Orient visitors, as a large fraction of them enter by this page (bookmarkability). We separate between newcomers, users and developers, so 3 boxes here.
2. Announce news and upcoming events. One box.
--MinhHaDuong 10:29, 1 August 2008 (UTC)
Earlier Page Design
Earlier page design was a lot better than the current state. Why we changed to this one. We are missing so much here. Specially the new visitors wont be able to get to the all the content that this Wiki has to offer.
Please revert --Kunaldeo 07:22, 7 August 2008 (UTC)
- Thanks for the feedback! The wiki maintainers team have agreed that there was too much content on the main page, so we removed much of the content for developpers. Could you please tell us what you are missing on this page? Is there some specific content you would like to see here? We will probably be able to add it in again. --Marko Knöbl 12:55, 7 August 2008 (UTC)
- I can figure out everything, but I feel The complete intro section was very useful "Introduction to Openmoko,Meet the original core team, Software Distributions New Framework Initiative License, Why Openmoko?" --Kunaldeo 17:18, 7 August 2008 (UTC)
- I added a link to Why Openmoko in the "New to Openmoko?" box. I think this is a useful page, thanks for pointing this out! Please note that most of the section "Introduction to Openmoko" and the link to "Software Distributions" are still present. On the mailing list some have said that the contents of "Meet the original core team" and "license" are too specific for content of the main page, and I agree with that. I can't say anything about "New Framework Initiative" as I'm not a developer. Probably someone else can check if a link to this page is useful? --Marko Knöbl 20:48, 7 August 2008 (UTC)
Please try to keep these elements in the top part of the screen (above the fold): Page title, motto, welcome statement, objective project definition, product picture, search box (not there yet !).
Please try to keep also on the page (not necessarily above the fold): links to other official information sources (trac, mailing lists, etc.), language chooser, more elaborated mission statement (historical overview), philosophical position, top level navigation within the wiki.
--MinhHaDuong 10:29, 1 August 2008 (UTC)
Please keep the language chooser on the top of the page.
Consider that not all the people in the world are familiar with English. An only-English wiki is considered as an index of a poor project. Please read my comment on the Translation point.
--Panta 22:59, 25 August 2008 (UTC)
In the software categories The link to the 2007.2 distribution goes to a picture of the software stack. That is not very appealing. Maybe this link should point to a software description (as the link to ASU, FSO, Qtopia does).
--Feydreva 11:20, 1 August 2008 (ET)
- Thanks for pointing this out! I changed the link. --Galadh 22:23, 3 August 2008 (UTC)
The Nav bar on the left is out of date, incorrect and has duplications.
Software is linked to a Developers page? There are two community links/ There is a Press Coverage on the left and in the new part What exactly is Technical, the whole site is technical.
There are many more items that make the nav bar on the left confusing, unproductive, incorrect and it needs to be fixed or wacked. Brenda seems to be attached to it or afraid to change it as this has come up before and all we got were lame excuses as to why it is like it is.
Please change it or remove it.
- I've made a few suggestions to the sidebar on its talk page. I think this discussion is probably best kept there. --KB Jørgensen 19:11, 25 August 2008 (UTC)
The continuous updating of pages result as an impossible-to-solve game to people who likes to localize wikie's pages.
Also, people visiting the site, may find outdated pages, thinking the project is dead or not so alive.
Please, consider to use a translation friendly wiki like anwiki (www.anwiki.com) used for build Ulteo's site (www.ulteo.com).
Alternatively, you can consider to find a way to comunicate to guests and translators if a page is outdated or not and put a link to the right english page.
Thank you and excuse my poor english: I can assure you I speak a more correct italian ;) --panta 11:17, 5 August 2008 (UTC)
I have added language Hindi in the template, but its not getting reflected here. --Kunaldeo 08:39, 23 October 2008 (UTC)
It takes a while for template changes to propagate, the mediawiki engine is not completely synchronous. MinhHaDuong 10:46, 23 October 2008 (UTC)
Love the new design!
Link to Jokes
I think the link to Jokes does not fit the box "New to Openmoko?". People who are new to this project won't get most of these jokes. May I delete this link? --Marko Knöbl 11:20, 10 December 2008 (UTC)
I deem the link frontpage worthy because humor a good way to go deeply to the heart of things that can hardly be said otherwise (but not sidebar worthy of course it is not an essential navigation page). I added the link in that box because it belongs somewhere visible and I had no idea as to where else to put it, so any alternative placement suggestion should be considered. And it is true that even I don't get all the jokes, but newbies should get about half of them if they have the geek hacker subculture. What do you other guys think ? MinhHaDuong 14:57, 10 December 2008 (UTC)
- Thanks for your explanation! If we really want this on the main page I'd rather put it into the "for Users" box under "Openmoko community". Would that be okay? --Marko Knöbl 13:02, 12 December 2008 (UTC)
- I've just moved it. I hope it's okay.--Marko Knöbl 09:53, 20 December 2008 (UTC)
I think it would be a good idea to provide a link near the top where people can learn more about the 'freedom' that's boasted about. Many site visitors (including GNU/Linux users) will not be aware of the benefits and importance of what we mean by "freedom" for software users.
Descripts of "rebuild the house" and linking "open source" to a page about getting source code are ways to get programmers interested, but I think it would be very unlikely for a non-hacker visitor to openmoko.org to discover how giving source code to hackers helps them, and why software freedom affects their lives.
When someone has time, this could be replaced with a page on openmoko.org with a more specific explanation of how why freedom is essential for mobile phones and mobile computing, and what benefits this leads to. Ciaran 23:22, 5 January 2009 (UTC)
How to Shop Ugg Boots?
Uggs are all-time-favorite footwear favored by many people across the world for its versatility and chic looks. Many like to prefer this footwear for its stylish and comfort aspects that charms as well as eases your feet with utmost convenience. Earlier, people use to wear ugg boots to keep their feet warm in cold weather but now in modern time people prefer them to gain a great appearance.
Even celebrities love wearing these boots for their comfortable features. You too wanna try out this sheepskin footwear for your family? Well, it’s a great idea. With Sheepskin boots being made in plenty of styles and sizes, you can choose a pair for all members of your family. But are you pondering how to shop for these boots for your family? Stop worrying, all you need to do is to spend time searching for the perfect pair. Well here are some great tips to choose the best pair of uggs for your family.
Men’s Ugg Boots/Shoes:
Men always look ahead for casual style, comfort and simplicity at a great value. They prefer boots that are designed with a bit of extra room in a slip-on style. for added comfort. Beacon, Butte, Berrien are some of the exclusive styles of sheepskin boots that will better serve the needs of men in terms of comfort as well as casualty. If you wanna casual slippers for trudging around the home then ugg slippers is the good bet for you.
Women’s Ugg Boots/Shoes:
Women and Girls are passionate about style, comfort and luxuriousness. They always wish something extraordinary and Uggs are one such exceptional to meet their requirements. Uggs featured with fringing and fur trims can be a nice choice to wear with skirts for a sumptuous look. A nice pair of lace-up uggs with cross over straps is also a great bet for girls and women to stand apart from the crowd.
For a traditional yet rugged style, prefer style. classic tall / short uggs that can be worn with jeans to gain a smashing appearance. Even color matters a lot for girls, so sheepskin boots are available in pink, sand, black and beige. For a casual look, sand, beige or even black color sheepskin footwear will be an ideal choice. And for a girly look, opt for a pair of pink uggs that will give you a pretty cute appearance.
Kids Ugg Boots/Shoes:
Sheepskin footwear for kids comes in an exclusive variety of styles, colors and sizes to keep the little feet just as happy and comfort as big ones. Kid’s ugg boots are designed with finest suede and sheepskin with fleece lining for extreme comfort at all times. These boots feature ridged designed outsole for superior traction on all types of floors. Kid’s Classic, Ultra and Birch are few ugg’s styles that will be the ideal choice for the growing feet of your kids.