Add news to this page, and from time to time we will issue a community update.
Watch these links:
- Git logs: kernel/stable, kernel/stable-tracking, Qtopia/master, Openmoko's OpenEmbedded, uboot/stable, Qi/master
- Mailing lists: hardware, devel, community, kernel, support, SHR devel, FDOM devel
- Project news.
How are newsletters organized elsewhere: http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2008-October/032628.html
- A Pong
- Newrotate 0.5 is out, uses really little CPU now.
- Valério won the first 24h-coding prize at Sapo Codebits by turning freerunner in a mouse and gamepad using the accelerometers. Code will be merged with ReMoko.
- Gtkaddpoi 0.5 : software to add a Point Of Interest to TangoGPS.
- neoqplayer 0.1 : codenamed frog. A media player that conserves CPU cycles.
- First release of TwitterMoko, a twitter client for openmoko.
- ShortOm 0.2 : an application/shell launcher.
- openmoko-panel-plugin 0.6 : support for fso frameworkd milestone 4.
- Unison works.
- OpenMooCow 0.2. Mooes more, runs headless, tickleable.
- AaTerm, an improved openmoko-terminal2.
- Azmodie proposed a solution for right and middle clicking: Use the gnome accessibility tool mousetweaks (.deb).
- The official 2008.9 image is back online without the questionable audio codecs.
- ASU. 2008.11 is not going to see the light, but at least the bug count is decreasing in the testing build (see testing penultimate and latest reports, where A7 with capacitor is declared good for mess roduction ;). The testing build is the one with all the fixes from optimization team (read their last, previous reports), i.e. about 1 minute boot and Volume control during call.
- SHR. newer snapshot available.
- For Android: Walter Chang made a soft keyboard. Rui Castro implemented an OnScreen Keyboard. It was immediately included in Sean's image, to be released at the usual page without mp3 support soon.
- For an armband to hold the Freerunner while exercising, Gilles Casse recommends the UMC-3 from Case Logic.
- Patrick Beck grafted a light on a miniusb - connector, to make an OpenMoko flash light. More lumens the bright white screen one get with the Flashlight script.
- The official fix for buzzing is to add a 100uF capacity here and replace one resistance there. Technical details to be published in an Openmoko rework SOP paper. The company is looking at how to fix *all* devices sold.
- The Calypso GSM firmware moko10 was released, it fixes ticket 666 for those users with 3G SIM cards. A few Indiana Jones types did try and follow the wiki instructions to reflash, most with success, some with hubris (def: excessive pride). For the rest of us, a user-friendly installer is being prepared.
Kernel and bootloaders
Big bad bug of the month prize goes to ticket 1841 white screen of death (WSOD) after resume. This bug shows itself only by cold weather! Nicolas Dufresne found out that the culprit was probably a too tight timing in the JBT driver. Hopefully this will be fixed soon now, and we can all switch to Linux 2.6.28 happily everafter. Developpers must read Andy's explanations about kernel branch management.
- Preview upcoming changes to the /sys directory.
- Improvements to the touchscreen, backlight and accelleremometers kernel drivers.
- Qi gets lots of GTA03 love, audio back and a memory test ability (called when there are no valid kernels).
- The opkg package manager was patched to cache downloaded files.
- Removed the tagcloud extension that messed up with page formatting.
- There are many links to nice Ringtones on the wiki, but the page and the whole topic need a good overhaul.
- GnuPhone here we come: Sten Kvamme explains how to make a call from the command line (on FSO).
- For your pleasure, here is the OpenMoko Jokes page. Thanks to the community, keep them coming ;) We (Coolcat and I) are also thinking about adding a pic of the week to the homepage, so stay tuned.
- Courtesy of Dale Maggee, here and here are a few funny splash screens. Note that you already trust Dale if you are using neotool to flash your Neo.