Qtopia on X11
Qtopia on X11
Running Qtopia apps and services on X11 with enlightenment as window manager. This is done to benefit from the applications and working services but still allow integration with other toolkits and systems. The difficulty is to integrate Qtopia into the freedesktop.org world. This includes launching of apps, services, window management, installation, FHS obeyance...
Getting the code
There is a gitweb for browsing the code and in the future the rsync branches will be merged instead of rebased.
The command to clone the tree is:
Then read the README.x11 and have fun.
- better GTA02 integration
- Screenlock, blanking, suspend handling, e.g. Qtopia wants to know when it is waking up, the blanking of the screen should be handled by e though.
- Packaging in OpenEmbedded
- Make Qtopia parse the menu file and freedesktop.org desktop files
- PIN Handling (SIM PIM, etc..)
Needs e work
- Launch an application on incoming phone calls, to inform the screen lock about it
- Interaction between screen lock and qpe e.g. with incoming phone calls while being suspended
- Placement of the softmenu and application
Integration with Desktop
- Write proper freedesktop.org files
- How to generalize the Service concept
- How to generalize the Softmenu
- How to approach dbus (besides defining QTOPIA_DBUS_IPC
- Brining power of Input methods to freedesktop.org
Launching of applications
To assure single exec we run the execution through the QPE process. The downside is that we currently have two copies of .desktop files with two similar standards. Also this is creating an island, where 'services' are only available on QPE. The minimum for Qt would be to parse fd.org desktop files so that we can throw Qtopia's copy of them away. Also launching should not be done by the qpe process in the future. Currently we invoke qcop and the Launcher to service and request to launch applications.
What to learn from it
Service defintions and Service Providers
With Qtopia you can describe a service and give the user the choice to pick the preferred service. Read more about services here. Basicly you define a service Foo.servie and then have a directory Foo/ and providers of this service can put a file with their name into this directory.
Content is abstracted from a file hierachy to be type based. To continue with this thought and to make it scale RDF, tree views, indexing comes into mind. Is there something we can learn from here besides making it scale?
What is a value space? It looks like it is a cross process way to define a tree of values. You can query state, features and similar things with it. The entry to the documentation can be found here.
Besides using an optimized Trie with a mmapable representation (fast lookups even of huge dictionaries!) you can attach a input method hint to any QWidget.E.g. if you need to insert an IP address into a QLineEdit the input method could show a special mode to assist in this. Setting a hint for the current widget, this can be an arbitrary string, the actual hint is then a file in the etc/im directory.