What is Opkg?
Opkg is a lightweight package management system based on Ipkg.
This is a list of features that have been completed. Mostly this is a list of changes from Ipkg.
- Use libcurl to download files
- Send download progress updates to libopkg clients
- Re-organise sources into sub directories
- Verify package lists with gpg detached signiture
- Mark packages that were installed to satisfy dependancies (auto installed)
The following ipkg patches have been applied:
- "2-pkg-vec--Optimize-gross-inefficiency.patch" from OpenEmbedded
- "1-pkg-parse--Optimize-inefficient-parsing.patch" from OpenEmbedded
In approximate order of priority
- Additional option to remove "auto installed" packages
- Support for faceted classification (similar to debtags)
- Simple user interactions during postinstall
- Improve command line options
- Restructure source code and make it more robust
- Store packages in database
- http proxy works but authentication not tested yet
Q. What version of Ipkg is Opkg based on?
A. It is based on the ipkg-0.99.163 tarball
Q. Why "fork" and rename Ipkg?
A. Ipkg is no longer actively maintained upstream and there are potential trademark issues with using the Ipkg name