Openmoko Beagle Hybrid
This project provides a PCB extension board and software to combine a Beagle Board with a Freerunner compatible display and case.
The goal is to provide a demonstrator and experimentation platform how a future modern state-of the art Openmoko device with ARM-Cortex A8 and UMTS could be (neglecting miniaturization). This allows to develop software and new user interfaces. When packing the board into a Freerunner case, one can provide sound (microphone, earset, speaker) and vibracall.
What it is good for
- experimenting with touchscreen and new user interfaces on Beagleboard
- learn how the OMAP3530 design works
- make it a mobile application development platform by adding a battery pack and a UMTS usb stick
- investigate how an Openmoko with UMTS and OMAP3530 feels (not from haptics but screen operation and UMTS speed)
- porting SHR, QtMoko, Android, etc. to ARM-Cortex A8, NEON
Pictures and Movies
Pictures of Prototype
Here some pictures of our prototypes (the final PCB will be rotated by 180 degrees to allow to access the SD slot).
Pictures of final Board
- Populated board front side: http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/images/DSC00508.JPG
- Populated board back side: http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/images/DSC00507.JPG
- More pictures at: http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/images
- Plugging together and Booting into Debian: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU_q-fYmMsw (http://download.goldelico.com/ombeagle/images/MOV00532.mov)
- Outdoor device (with battery and external GPS antenna): http://download.goldelico.com/ombeagle/images/MOV00541.AVI
- TangoGPS in Map mode: http://download.goldelico.com/ombeagle/images/MOV00539.AVI
- PCB that fits into Freerunner case (top cover and middle part after cutting a hole)
- works also outside of a case
- Toppoly LCM interface (same display as used in the Freerunner - otherwise it would not fit into the case)
- TSC2007 touch screen controller
- Earset and Speaker connector (for Freerunner case)
- 2 buttons (AUX and Power)
- 2 dual color LEDs (in the AUX and Power buttons)
- vibracall driver
- headset jack to connect microphone, earset and speaker
- W2SG004 (Sirf-III) GPS
- ITG3200 3-axis gyroscope
Software and Downloads
- U-Boot GIT: http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-uboot/
- Kernel: http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/
- Debian Lenny rootfs: http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-rootfs/
User space file systems
Initial tests have shown that it is quite easy to port/configure Freerunner GUI distributions to run on this hardware/kernel. Therefore we encourage to port
- Android: e.g. rowboat
locate binaries for MLO (first phase boot loader), U-Boot, boot scripts and splash screens, Kernel, Angstrom or Lenny Demo Image, patches (config.tgz) and modules (modules.tgz) from http://download.goldelico.com/ombeagle/trunk
Please note that you have to copy them in a specially formatted SD card. Look into the makesd script for an example (WARNING: adapt to your system or you may destroy your hard disk).
After some delay with our SMD production, availability is scheduled for 15th August 2010.
The board can be ordered through: http://www.handheld-linux.com/wiki.php?page=Openmoko%20Beagle