OpenmokoFramework/Status Update 6
Hi guys! This is the sixth Openmoko Framework Team Status update, featuring our fifth milestone release and more.
For the general motivation, the goals, and the way we are doing our work, please see OpenmokoFramework.
|Key pages on:|
People & Organization
- The GSM API (org.freesmartphone.GSM.*) has proven very solid and will be tagged 0.9 before the next milestone.
- The Device API (org.freesmartphone.Device.*) has received some additions for power management and starts stabilizing.
- The Usage API (http://docs.freesmartphone.org/org.freesmartphone.Usage.html) which was merely a reference counting wrapper over the Device API has gained two companions:
- The Resource API (http://docs.freesmartphone.org/org.freesmartphone.Resource.html) turns this into a full-blown resource management system with choosable policies etc.
- The Suspend call is resource-aware and gives all resources a chance to prepare for a suspend and to recover after a suspend.
- org.freesmartphone.Objects.ListObjectsByInterface is using DBus-introspection now.
- The Events subsystem has gained an experimental DBus interface to add and remove rules and to test triggers.
Freesmartphone.org Framework Image -- (Milestone V)
This is the fifth milestone release of the framework and the framework testing application 'Zhone'. With the forthcoming release of other FSO API consumers, Zhone is going to be faded out. Further framework milestone releases will ship in two forms:
- fso-console-image: An FSO-compliant image featuring no user interface manager.
- fso-illume-image: An FSO-compliant image featuring the X-Window system with the Enlightenment-based Illume window manager.
Thanks to all our contributors, especially the testers and the people who build stuff on top of the freesmartphone.org APIs -- notably the SHR team who found literally thousands of bugs in the framework that we had to fix for this milestone release. Thanks, guys!
A lightweight image that turns an Openmoko phone into a featurephone and that serves as the basis for further application development using the freesmartphone.org dbus APIs.
What's new since Milestone IV
Note: These are only the highlights. See the gitweb commit logs for the gory details...
- Grab a uImage and a .jffs2 for your device from freesmartphone.org's download section.
- Flash it to your Neo 1973 (om-gta01) or Neo FreeRunner (om-gta02) with dfu-util.
- Boot and wait until the Zhone main window appears.
- If the Zhone main window does not appear on first boot or stays with "connecting to dbus..." longer than 1 minute, then please reboot. The base system still has some problems with dbus starting for the first time
- Read the FSO UI Tutorial and have fun. Note though that this has not been updated yet for milestone 4 (which looks a bit differently and has more features).
What you can expect from this release
- frameworkd implementing the following dbus APIs:
What we expect from you
- Feedback and comments for the dbus APIs. This is your chance to take an active role into shaping the application programming interface for all your forthcoming cool applications.
- Focus on using the services. Zhone is just our testing-UI and bears little functionality. It's the services that matter.
- The best way to interact with the framework is by exploring the dbus APIs. For that you can use these two tools, which are already installed:
- Before reporting bugs against the framework, please try with cli-framework to see whether it's really a problem of the framework or rather the UI (which gets much less attention from us).
- If you want to interact with the GSM modem, while the frameworkd is running, you can use mickeyterm -- a MUXer-aware minimal terminal emulator.
Best way to hand us debug logs
- log in via ssh
- killall python
- edit /etc/frameworkd.conf and add to the frameworkd section:
- log_level = DEBUG
- log_to = file
- log_destination = /somewhere/where/you/have/space (preferably SD or NFS, etc.)
- Read our documented frameworkd.conf configuration file to learn about the other options.
- relaunch frameworkd (/etc/init.d/frameworkd stop; /etc/init.d/frameworkd start)
- log in via ssh (yes, again)
- export DISPLAY=:0.0
- run your favourite client (zhone, cli-framework, ...)
Attach the logs to the tickets, please.
- Unit Tests
- High Level Documentation
- More Device Support (GTA03, HTC, EZX)
Mickey, Jan, Daniel, Stefan.