OpenmokoFramework/Status Update 3
Openmoko Framework Team Status Report 2008.7.1
Hi guys! This is the third Openmoko Framework Team Status update, featuring our second milestone release, and more.
For the general motivation, the goals, and the way we are doing our work, please see http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/OpenmokoFramework.
What happened since the last report
- John Lee <firstname.lastname@example.org> joined the framework team and will help us part time -- welcome on board, John!
- org.freesmartphone.GSM is almost complete now and stable. We did only minor corrections and enhancements based on client feedback.
- Preliminary versions of org.freesmartphone.Device.Audio and .Accelerometer have been added.
- org.freedesktop.Gypsy has been enhanced to serve the need of advanced GPS device control.
- Still brainstorming about org.freesmartphone.Preferences and org.freesmartphone.Context.
Openmoko Framework Image -- 'All good things' (Milestone II)
This is the second milestone release of the framework and the framework testing application 'Zhone'.
A lightweight image that turns an Openmoko phone into a featurephone and that serves as the basis for further application development experiments using the freesmartphone.org dbus APIs.
What's new since Milestone I
Note: These are only the highlights. See the gitweb commit logs for the gory details...
- Merge individual daemons into one daemon with multiple subsystems
- Use python logging for debugging
- Enhance tests and API documentation
- Implements org.freesmartphone.Device.Audio (GStreamer Playback engine and alsa scenario control)
- Implements org.freesmartphone.Device.Input (button switches / headphones insertion etc.)
- Accellerator support
- ogsmd (renamed from ophoned)
- Implements org.freesmartphone.GSM.PDP (GPRS handling)
- Implements org.freesmartphone.GSM.CB (Cell Broadcast handling)
- Implements org.freesmartphone.GSM.HZ (O2/Genion Home Zone handling)
- Multiparty call handling for TI Calypso
- Initial support for Freescale Neptune Modem and Sierra Modem
- Call forwarding
- opgsd (new subsystem)
- Implements org.freesmartphone.Gypsy
- Supports U-Blox binary protocol
- Supports NMEA
- ophoned (new subsystem)
- Prepare combined telephony API for VoIP and GSM
- Add phonebook
- Add messagebook
- Add basic GPS viewer
- Integrate Illume launcher
- Ship additional programs
Download / Installation
- Grab a uImage and a .jffs2 for your device from http://downloads.openmoko.org/framework/milestone2/.
- Flash it to your Neo1973 (om-gta01) or NeoFreerunner (om-gta02) with dfu-util.
- Boot and wait until the Zhone main window appears.
- Have fun.
What you can expect from this release
- frameworkd implementing the following dbus APIs:
What we expect from you
- Feedback and comments for the dbus APIs. This is your chance to take an active role into shaping the application programming interface for all your cool applications.
- Enhancing the API documentation, e.g. org.freesmartphone.GSM at http://www.freesmartphone.org/index.php/Standards/OpenPhoneServerAPI
- Working towards Milestone 3 (see http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/OpenmokoFramework)
Mickey, Jan, Daniel, Guillaume, John.