English • العربية • Български • Česky • Dansk • Deutsch • Esperanto • Eesti • Español • فارسی • Suomi • Français • עברית • Magyar • Italiano • 한국어 • Nederlands • Norsk (bokmål) • Polski • Português • Română • Русский • Svenska • Slovenčina • Українська • 中文(中国大陆) • 中文(台灣) • Euskara • Català
Om 2009 was planned to be the next version of the official Openmoko distribution (in series of OM2007.x, OM2008.x). The latest release of OM2009 is testing5 from June 16th, 2009. After this not much work has been done due to lack of resources; the developers have mostly moved to SHR as there are only very small differences in the distros.
Om 2009 is based on FSO framework and uses Paroli as the telecommunication software. Om 2009 testing5 already has all the features most people need for daily phone usage: SMS, calling, phone book, call log, charging, suspend&resume, wifi gui, audio profiles, etc.
please see Manuals/Om 2009
Using Om 2009
Write your best tips here!!
- Change fullscreen paroli -> illume (settings->display->profile)
- Enable wifi. (settings->wifi->power->active. settings->wifi->scan->'essid')
- Allow ssh over wlan. (nano /etc/default/dropbear. =22)
- If screen goes dim and phone suspends even all things are disabled, use this spell:
mdbus -s org.freesmartphone.ousaged /org/freesmartphone/Usage org.freesmartphone.Usage.SetResourcePolicy Display enabled
- To learn to use Paroli, the phone software, go to Paroli#FAQ
- To have log directory that isn't cleared when you reboot, the /var/log symlink needs to be turned into a directory:
rm /var/log mkdir /var/log
- To import vcard -contacts to Paroli, check this
- To change Paroli's background, check Paroli-background
- To prevent suspending when USB plugged in: unplug usb until LED goes out, then plug usb in: you need to keep the device awake by touching the screen until the LED comes back on. (bug: http://trac.freesmartphone.org/ticket/381)
Audio quality during call
- Audio quality is good by default for some Freerunners. Some units need a new audio profile:
wget http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/raw-attachment/ticket/2121/gsmhandset.state.new -O /usr/share/openmoko/scenarios/gsmhandset.state
- More info can be found here: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_Freerunner_audio_subsystem
- If you have problems with audio, try this:
- If audio works, load this module on boot:
echo "snd-pcm-oss" > /etc/modutils/snd-pcm-oss update-modules
- Allowing the FR to suspend or having the screen blackout while using mplayer will sometimes crash the FR
- Plugging in the headset will stop audio from playing out of the phone's speaker. Audio will not return until the phone is shut off or you receive or make a call
Bugs / missing features
- Screen lock is missing
- currently X screen saver is used during screen blank
- (Paroli) GUI to change ring tones missing
- (Paroli) GUI for Bluetooth missing
- Led indication for missed calls or sms missing
- Battery indicator support for GTA01 broken
- Boot time needs to be reduced to less than 2 minutes
- install udev-static-devices - caveat you lose bind-home
- use readahead to cache python dirs before starting framework and paroli
- use readahead to cache dirs for X
- remove unneeded startup programs ( ie portmap )
- prime GSM during init for paroli's use
- gsm0710muxd: "Modem does not respond to AT commands" #2257
- oeventsd rules ignored FSO #381
- Disabling suspend does not work #2296
Update 2009-08-28: the main developer of OM2009 gave up the development in favour of SHR; OM2009 was lacking manpower to maintain and develop it. The latest unstable images are quite usable though.
When we set the very limited goals of Om 2009 we had two goals in mind:
1. Give those members of the community who only wanted a daily phone, a distro they could use
2. Introduce technology that would allow the community to come together and improve on these basics
Community interaction, open development and user driven decision making are at the core of Om 2009. Going forward this will be an effort with the community for the community. I invite you to join the effort to make Om 2009 with paroli the best Om-labeled distribution for the Freerunner.
How can you help?
Test the distro, let us know about bugs you find, or even fix them and send us patches.
Tell us about your experiences using Om 2009, what should we change, where can we improve?
Paroli has come a long way but it still needs a lot of love and optimizing, so if you are into python or efl, check out the code from git.paroli.org, join #paroli on irc and let's get crackin'. There are lots of things to do, opimd needs to be integrated and improved, the UI needs polishing, overall speed can be increased etc etc
More into Chat and email? Feel like writing a jabber/irc/xxx or email client that really fits the screen? Or do you know of one? Let's hear about it. This device has a lot of potential and we are so close to reaching the far corners, the kernel is in good shape, the framework is doing great and telephony apps such as paroli or the shr suite are steadily improving.
So, get your Freerunner in shape again. Flash it with a nice current distro and let it do what it was meant to do :)
Let's make Om 2009 a community product, something all of us can be proud of and say "we did this".
Mirko/Openmoko at http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2009-May/048061.html)
- Paroli: http://www.paroli-project.org/ and Paroli
- FSO: http://www.freesmartphone.org and OpenmokoFramework
Please enable debugging as instructed above. Attaching frameworkd.log and paroli.log will aid in solving the bug.
Please search the bug list for you issue before adding it to trac. Some of these issues might be Paroli or FSO issue so you can also check their tracs for solutions or discussions.