Neo FreeRunner Battery
GTA02 1200 mAh Smart Battery
- Using SANYO 1200mAh cell
- Battery Technical information: Detailed Battery Information
- 1200mAh Smart Battery with Coulomb-counter and protection circuit
- The Smart Battery keeps track of maximum and current capacity for precise prediction of remaining battery power and time until shutdown, based on actual power dissipation.
For more information, see the GTA01 battery info at Neo1973 Battery
Notes about expected battery life
Battery life is a work in progress. The power saving software is in a very rudimentary state. At the moment 12h is about the most (note though a recent result of at least 21h, mostly in suspend, with multiple short wakeups, on the predecessor device GTA01). A week standby and 6 hours talk, 20 hours mp3 might be attainable when power saving software is complete.
Make sure that the battery never discharges completely. This is an issue because the internal charging circuitry can not be turned on until the FreeRunner has booted, and booting through USB power alone does not work. (If you have the newest kernel images, you should be safe due to a software fix.)
Should the battery become completely discharged, your options are:
- Use external stand-alone charger (compatible with the Nokia BL-5C battery)
- Boot the FreeRunner with an alternative battery, or with a spare GTA01 or GTA02 battery, plug USB power, then switch to the empty battery.
- Boot the FreeRunner with a 4.5VDC external power source (steady hand and great care involved), plug USB power, then insert the empty battery.
- Charge the battery directly, see here, how I did that.
Compatible Replacement Batteries
Other known FreeRunner-compatible batteries include the BL-series (BL-4X, BL-5X) from Nokia, and their third-party equivalents. These may not work to revive a device and may not report charge information. It is probably a good idea to check that your battery is not greater than the stock battery's voltage of 3.7V (the above suggests that 4.5VDC should be fine) unless you know what you are doing.
|Battery Model||Capacity (mAh)||Charge info reported||Notes|
- Main article: USB charger