The Neo FreeRunner (internal codename GTA02) is the second phone designed to run Openmoko software and is the direct descendant of the earlier FIC Neo1973. It has not yet been released - if you want to buy an Openmoko phone now then see the Neo1973.
Finding out status before FreeRunner is released
To be emailed when it is released sign up to the announce mail list here http://lists.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/announce. For frequently asked questions please check FAQ. Approximately, twice a month an Openmoko team member writes an update to the project here Community Updates.
No official launch date will be given until the phone is ready.
Intended use and users
The Neo FreeRunner is a linux based touch screen smart phone aimed at general consumer use as well as linux desktop users and linux software developers.
General phone users will appreciate the high spec and performance of the phone and the wide range of free and custom software packages that you are free to install to make the maximum use of the hardware for your particular needs. Note that software tweaks and improvements will continue after launch as both the Openmoko team developers and the wider linux community work together.
Linux users and software developers will appreciate the total freedom they have to use and design software for the FreeRunner
What are the specs
The specs share some features with the previous Neo1973 such as
- A very high resolution touch screen (1.7" x 2.27" - 43mm x 58mm) 480x640 pixels
- 128MB SDRAM memory to allow operation of many applications at once
- Internal GPS module for map and tracking programs
- Bluetooth for local data exchange
- Physical appearance will be the same as the Neo1973. See openmoko.com for more.
but will gain the additional features of
- 802.11 b/g WiFi for fast web browsing and data transfer
- A faster 400Mhz processor (up from 266MHz)
- A hardware Graphics Accelerator chip allowing fast graphics including video playback
- 2 accelerometers so that the phone can know its orientation for example switching to landscape mode automatically
- 2 LEDs illuminating the two buttons on the rim of the case
- Tri-band GSM and GPRS for North America (850/1800/1900 Mhz) and the rest of the world (900/1800/1900 Mhz)
- USB Host function with 100mA power allowing you to power USB devices for short periods (will drain the FreeRunner battery faster)
A full list of the hardware specs and components of the Neo FreeRunner (internal codename GTA02xxx) can be found here Neo FreeRunner GTA02 Hardware
A comparison between Neo 1973 and Neo FreeRunner is here
What is the price?
It will be available in two versions
- FreeRunner Base (for almost all users) and
- Freerunner Advanced (for some software developers).
Further details to follow
We will sell this device through multiple channels. Direct from openmoko.com, the price will be $450 for the FreeRunner Base and $600 for the FreeRunner Advanced.