Neo 1973 GPS
The Neo1973 device contains an integrated GPS. The particular device is marketed as an AGPS, and there is some discussion available as to what significance that "A" might have.
Note that the GTA02 device (not yet available) contains a different GPS chip (see http://www.u-blox.com/products/atr0635.html and/or http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/product_card.asp?part_id=3932 for specs).
All purchased phones do not include the GPS binary driver. 
In the very early shipment to 50 Phase 1 developers, a binary-only program for talking to the the GPS was accidentally included in /home/root/DM2/gps, (and presumably, the same binary would function on a P0 device). This binary is called gllin and it is a oabi binary, i.e. it will only work in the 2007.1 OpenMoko environment. There is now a eabi binary, which works with 2007.2, but it does not work very well and has not been released yet (as of end of September).
There is an ongoing effort to write a Free Software program that could be used instead of this binary-only program.
See Hammerhead/Protocol for details and the latest status.
Some scripts for those with the binary are on Manually_using_GPS
GTA01 GPS driver (gllin)
The GPS driver is availiabel here: http://3rdparty.downloads.openmoko.org/gllin/
And here the Mail from Michael Shiloh http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2007-November/011916.html
Possible GPS programs
As people develop more sophisticated GPS applications, please note them here.
Here are some ideas for possibilities:
- Cairo-based mapping
- Openstreetmap a map viewer, annotation, and editing system.
- [Pyroute] is a routing program written in Python by Ojw, and a mobile phone GUI for maps, GPS, and routing.
- GPS-Trail a simple trail logger.
- roadmap mapping system using freely available maps (US census TIGER, DGLib, shapefiles).
- Geocaching paper chase for advanced users
- Set Profile (Mute, etc.) to coordinates (ex. At work)
- qpegps qtopia (arm PDA) based map viewer with gps features
- Navit a car navigation system with routing engine.