If you just received a Neo1973 here are some suggestions for getting started.
See FAQ for other Frequently Asked Questions.
There is some SVG ClipArt for simple illustrative purposes.
Phase 0 (GTA01Bv3)
36 developers have received their devices. 
Phase 1 (GTA01Bv4)
- Main article Neo1973 Phase 1
The Neo Base costs $300, the Neo Advanced costs $450.
See Neo1973 Hardware for what components GTA01B_v04 contains.
Neo Base -- everything the mobile application developer needs to enjoy the benefits of the first freed phone, the Neo1973:
* Neo1973 (GTA01B_v4) * Battery (1200mAh) * Stylus * Headset * Phone Pouch * Lanyard * SanDisk 512MB MicroSD Card * Mini USB Connectivity Cable
Neo Advanced -- everything the mobile device hacker wants to get down and dirty with the first freed phone, the Neo1973:
* Neo1973 (GTA01B_v4) * Battery (1200mAh) (2x) * Stylus * Headset * Phone Pouch * Lanyard * SanDisk 512MB MicroSD Card (2x) * Mini USB Connectivity Cable (2x) * Debug Flex Cable * Debug Board v2 (JTAG and serial console) * Ruggedized Toolbox with shoulder strap * Guitar Pick (for opening case) * Torx T6 screwdriver
You do not need the Advanced package to do normal kernel, or application development, only perhaps hacking on u-boot.
As described in Sean's post on mailing list (with some adjustments/corrections).
"Phase 2" (GTA02, "Mass Market")
The device will hopefully go on sale for developers in December, with mass-market to follow when the software is ready. (Seemingly confirmed at OpenExpo, see Talk page)
See Neo1973 GTA02 Hardware for the components in the GTA02v4 revision of the hardware.
Estimated time line
- GTA02v3 design finalized - DONE
- GTA02v3 power supply flaw found, GTA02v4 needed - DONE
- GTA02v4 design finalized - DONE
- GTA02v4 small number produced for OpenMoko internal developer evaluation - DONE
- GTA02v4 thorough evaluation by OpenMoko internal developers - DONE?
- GTA02v4 flaw found, GTA02v5 needed - DONE?
- GTA02v5 design finalized - DONE?
- GTA02v5 small number produced for OpenMoko internal developer evaluation
- GTA02v5 thorough evaluation by OpenMoko internal developers
- GTA02v5 produced in moderate volume
- GTA02v5 goes on sale to community via web store
(Note regarding above: per the IRC and comments on bug 957, there is to be a fifth revision of the GTA02 hardware, so I suspect the timeline is pushed out a bit again.)
(For the very latest news, visit Community Updates, which also allows you to suggest questions or topics for future updates.)
It will have the following new hardware components:
* 802.11 b/g WiFi * Samsung S3C2442 SoC * SMedia Glamo3362 Graphics Accelerator * 2 3D Accelerometers * 256MB Flash * 1700mAh Battery * Faster CPU - S3C2442 at 400MHz * LEDs illuminating the two buttons. * u-blox/Atmel ATR0635 GPS
It will also lose:
* One speaker, becoming mono.
We will sell this device through multiple channels. Direct from openmoko.com, the price will be $450 for the Neo Base and $600 for Neo Advanced.
Adds to the Phase 1 phone (see side by side comparison):
- 2 Accelerometers (model and number is uncertain)
- Faster CPU - S3C2442/400
- WiFi: Atheros AR6K (see also )
- Above from  and other sources
- 100mA powered USB host
- There will be no changes in the external housing, but internal plastics change.