If you just received a Neo1973 here are some suggestions for getting started.
See FAQ for other Frequently Asked Questions.
Phase 0 (GTA01Bv3)
Phase 1 (GTA01Bv4)
The Neo Base costs $300, the Neo Advanced costs $450.
See Neo1973 Hardware for what components GTA01B_v04 contains.
Neo Base -- everything the mobile application developer needs to enjoy the benefits of the first freed phone, the Neo1973:
* Neo1973 (GTA01B_v4) * Battery * Stylus * Headset * AC Charger * Phone Pouch * Lanyard * SanDisk 512MB MicroSD Card * Mini USB Connectivity Cable
Neo Advanced -- everything the mobile device hacker wants to get down and dirty with the first freed phone, the Neo1973:
* Neo1973 (GTA01B_v4) * Battery (2x) * Stylus * Headset * AC Charger * Phone Pouch * Lanyard * SanDisk 512MB MicroSD Card (2x) * Mini USB Connectivity Cable (2x) * USB Host Mode Cable * Debug Flex Cable * Debug Board v2 (JTAG and serial console) * Ruggedized Toolbox with shoulder strap * Guitar Pick (for opening case) * Torx T6 screwdriver
You do not need the Advanced package to do normal kernel, or application development, only perhaps hacking on u-boot.
As described in Sean's post on mailing list.
"Phase 2" (GTA02, "Mass Market")
GTA02 (AKA: The Mass Market Neo1973) is on schedule to go on sale in October. It will have the following new hardware components:
* 802.11 b/g WiFi * Samsung 2442 SoC * SMedia 3362 Graphics Accelerator * 2 3D Accelerometers * 256MB Flash * 1700mAh Battery * Faster CPU - S3C2442/400
We will sell this device through multiple channels. Direct from openmoko.com, the price will be $450 for the Neo Base and $600 for Neo Advanced.
Adds to the Phase 1 phone (see side by side comparison):
- 2 Accelerometers (model and number is uncertain)
- Faster CPU - S3C2442/400
- WiFi: Atheros AR6K (see also )
- Above from  and other sources
- There will be no changes in the housing.