|TODO: Support this project by adding ideas and comments to the discussion page and edit this article (See: To-Do List)|
Mokopedia makes wikipedia accessible on your openmoko phone even without being online because all articles will reside in a compressed filesystem (squashFS) on your SD Card.
You will have to install lighttpd to access a local perl cgi script with the web browser of your choice. This script will offer you a text box to easily search your stored articles.
Please feel free to add anything that comes to your mind.
- it will have no pictures - not enough room on any storage media
- tex forumlas could be generated with a local LaTeX install but this may be too big for the phone
- all wikipedia versions except the english one will fit on a 1GB SDCard (tested with the second largest wikipedia (german)) - compressability tests with en-wiki in progress
- support for stripped down wikipedia versions (100MB, 500MB)
- I finished writing the perl and bash scripts for optimizing your wikipedia html dump. To obtain the dumps goto http://static.wikipedia.org. The scripts are in svn on the mokopedia project site http://projects.openmoko.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/?root=mokopedia
- lighttpd is working on openmoko as a light webserver without too much overhead
- cgi-script for searching and accessing articles is finished
You can download the current code at http://projects.openmoko.org/projects/mokopedia/
You can view a little demo here: http://www.rabenfrost.net/mokopedia_demo.ogg
On the target (NEO)
- changes in /etc/lighttpd.conf
enable server-module "mod_cgi", "mod_rewrite", "mod_redirect", "mod_access"
#### CGI module cgi.assign = ( ".pl" => "/usr/bin/perl", ".py" => "/usr/bin/python", ".cgi" => "/usr/bin/perl" )
#### url handling modules (rewrite, redirect, access) url.rewrite-once = ( "^/wiki/(.*)" => "/wiki/search.py?q=$1" )
- squashfs-tools (optional)
- Web Browser
On the host
To build the squashFS image on your PC instead of downloading ready-to-use-images you additionally need mksquashfs-tools
A big thank to the following people:
- kahuna for bringing me back to the idea of mokopedia as served html to a browser of your choice
- fgau for trying out everything I wrote on his neo
- thomasg for suggesting the use of a compressed file system
- Marcel_M for his great repository with squashfs and loop kernel modules http://celtune.morb-design.com/ipk/fic-gta01/
- everyone on #neo1973-germany
All you guys helped me a lot!!