OpenMoko is an Open Source project to create the world's first free mobile phone operating system.
The OpenMoko project is a community that anyone can join, to help design their ideal phone.
Eventually, phone software won't be tied to any particular phone. You can install any OpenMoko software over the whole range of supported phones, and if you upgrade your phone, you don't lose that software. Bugs fixed on any phone are fixed on all.
Currently it is not suitable for users. The state of the software at the moment is pre-alpha. If you order a Neo1973, DO NOT expect to be able to use it as an everyday phone for several months.
The Neo1973 from FIC is the first of many phones that OpenMoko will run on; indeed, some people erroneously use the terms Neo1973 and OpenMoko as interchangeable. If you are willing to have the alpha test experience, you can order Neo1973 hardware now from the Openmoko Online Shop. You may wish to see the Shipment 1 FAQ.
Please join us in collaborating on the OpenMoko project through any of the project resources including this OpenMoko wiki. Please see the wiki editing help page for information on making contributions to this wiki. A core team of developers funded by FIC, Inc. leads the project.
Update 2007-07-25: The Unofficial OpenMoko Forums are now open! Everyone is invited to participate!
The members of the OpenMoko community would like to thank FIC Inc. for showing leadership and initiating the OpenMoko project.
OpenMoko Areas of Interest
- Basic End-user - Information for end users that want basic functionality and no surprises
- Advanced End-user - Information for advanced end-users that want advanced and experimental functionality but who are not programmers
- Project Resources - Provides a centralized location of all resources such as mailing lists, communication tools, and other software development oriented resources.
- Application Developer - Information for application developers, including ideas and specifications for applications, and tools to build them
- System Developer - Information for system developers, including bootloader, kernel, and libraries
- Hardware Developer - Information for hardware developers, including hardware specs and debug board
- Current events - Information on both past and future events where FIC or OpenMoko had or will have a presence.
- Unofficial OpenMoko Forums - Everyone is invited to collaborate with OpenMoko users and developers on the forums.
- Getting Started with your Neo1973
- Building OpenMoko using the MokoMakefile
- Building OpenMoko from scratch
- Migration to bad block tolerant builds
- Running OpenMoko on PC
- Booting from SD
Hardware Reference Documentation
- All Hardware related documentation and specifications are found on the Hardware page.
- The Neo1973 Hardware page provides an overview of the hardware components used by the Neo1973 hardware platform. PCB photographs are also included. A photo disassembly story may be an interesting starting place.
- Neo1973 Hardware Debugging is assisted with the Neo1973 debug board. A page discussing debug board and Neo1973 configurations is also provided.
Software Reference Documentation
- OpenMokoFramework - The OpenMoko Application Framework
- Neo1973 host software
- Device Software
- OpenEmbedded - The distribution-building framework
- Toolchain - The toolchain we use for compilation
- OpenMoko - The OpenMoko distribution
User Interface Related
- Look & Feel
- Application UI Design Recommendations
Misc. Development Related
- Freshman todo
- PIM Storage
- Coding Guidelines
- How to setup the OpenMoko SDK
- Application Development Crash Course -A very basic how-to for the new people.
- License - How we license our code
- Development resources - Describes resources for developers (lists, svn, ...)
- Neo1973 Phase 0 - Information for Phase 0 device owners
- Wishlist:Neo1973 P0 Review - Impressions of the Phase 0 hardware device, also the Phase 0 FAQ
- Neo1973 Phase 1 - Information for Phase 1 device owners
- Wishlist:Neo1973 P1 Review - Impressions of the Phase 1 hardware device
- External Feeds - List of feeds from people blogging about OpenMoko
Administrative / Organizational
- Shipping Notes - Information to help FIC figure out how to ship products to you, and how much it might cost.
- My Account - Ideas for what sort of account-based services FIC should provide with the phone.
- Hear Me FIC - Information to help FIC know what the community wants.
- Wiki Issues - problems/requests regarding this Wiki
- WiFi support in OpenMoko
- Neo1973 and Windows - If you want to commit that offence ;) (does not work, help!)
- Press Coverage - What the press says about the OpenMoko project
- mFAQ - The OpenMoko Misinformation FAQ (mFAQ) - What the press incorrectly says about the OpenMoko project
- Wish List - A collection of ideas and ideals we'd like to see implemented some day
- Wish List - Hardware - A collection of ideas we'd like to see in the next Neo release
- Wish List - Built-in Scripting Language - Discussion on a suitable scripting language to be included
- Media Content - What types of media on the device can we use (that is non-software)?
- Testimonials - How did you get to OpenMoko?
- Buying Interest List - (Not official and not a pre-order page) Have you put money aside for Neo1973? Put your nick here.
- iPhone - Comparison between Apple iPhone and FIC Neo1973
- Translation - Translation of OpenMoko
- Summer of code - Our page with project applications for Google's Summer of Code
- SWAG - Where to purchase openmoko swag (T-Shirts!)
- Trademark Policy -- The OpenMoko Trademark Policy
English • العربية • Български • Česky • Dansk • Deutsch • Esperanto • Eesti • Español • فارسی • Suomi • Français • עברית • Magyar • Italiano • 한국어 • Nederlands • Norsk (bokmål) • Polski • Português • Română • Русский • Svenska • Slovenčina • Українська • 中文(中国大陆) • 中文(台灣) • Euskara • Català