Improving user experience
Like Wolfgang said in http://n2.nabble.com/Weekly-Engineering-News-41-2008-td1336450.html , Openmoko assembled a team to focus on improving the user experience. The focus and coverage of this group is:
- We improve the current stack instead of creating new features.
- Prefer stuffs which could be brought over to gta03 instead of gta02/om2008 specific.
- Won't work on om2007 stack. Won't do hardware.
- May cooperate with Paroli, FSO or system team but we're not them.
- Will work on Qtopia but with lower priority.
Here is the current draft and it will be updated frequently.
- call quality +1
- echo (in testing #1267)
- volume (alsa-state?)
- Reduce boot time (#69,#1722)
- Optimize the touch screen driver on freerunner for finger usage.(in testing #2031)
- A generic python loader to enhance the start up time of python scripts.
- program startup speed
- response time
- scripts: resolv.conf, etc.
- default nameserver OpenDNS added.
- scripts: resolv.conf, etc.
- Reliably make and receive phone calls and SMS messages (John: That's included in qtopia bugfix + fso)
- change the button order of "end call" or "ans call"
- put speaker button on the dialer app
- devices (command line improvement first)
- wifi userspace
- opkg: faster algorithm
Other Wish list
Weekly update 20/10 2008
Now for the status update this week:
Tick merged the qtopia echo patch (#1267), it works, no echo but the audio sounds a little bit less 'vivid' (not sure if this is the right word). He is now working on the touch screen usage, see http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/devel/2008-October/002712.html
Olv and Erin is working on reducing boot time. Currently it's reduced from 2:35 (Om2008.9) to around 1:40. One minute less in one week, and Olv just got back from hospital last Monday. We will merge this into OE once we get it organized properly.
Jeremy is working together with kernel guy (aka Matt Hsu) to look into the possible improvement, namely take a screenshot and show it first during resume. It's a common technique in mobile phone.
Julian is working on the python loader. He is new to python but he got very good helps here in the office such as Guillaume, etc. He still got some distro work to finish so it's going to take a while before he can work full time on this.
Currently we have a major blocker #2071. It can be solved by update EFL, but no icons will show up in illume. This seems to be a different bug, but we are having an evas-native related issue on the build server so the EFL packages are not updated correctly in downloads.openmoko.org. This prevents people from confirming it and fire another bug.
EFL ABI changed along with the svn rev increment last week, so Installer and Locations won't work without rebuilding. Although people already got reassigned, but nobody will give Om2008 love except us and holger, so we will fix the issues above and update testing repo soon.