Possible GPS applications
As people develop more sophisticated GPS applications, please note them here.
- I want to look at maps.
- I want to be able to prepare data and load my own maps.
- I want to load map data in a WKB (well known binary) format such as shapefiles.
- I want to go somewhere; please tell me how to get there. Routing.
- I want to help with the Openstreetmap project by collecting data.
- I want to use Openstreetmap data in a map viewer.
- I want to use the smartphone GPS to go Geocaching
- I want the GPS to update profile settings based on my location. Example, mute the phone ringer when I am at work.
- I want to log GPS data for later analysis. GPS Data Logger
- I want to collect GPS data for scientific field work (forestry, biology, etc)
Please note if a program works or if it's vapourware.
- Cairo-based mapping (I wonder what this is?)
- Cumulus GPS software for glider pilots (and pilots in general), has a port for Qtopia and pulls (world) maps from the KFLog flight planner project. I think someone has put a project like this on the projects website * Pyroute is a routing program written in Python by Ojw, and a mobile phone GUI for maps, GPS, and routing.
- Raná is the new version of pyroute
- Gosmore is a routing and viewer of OSM XML data such as the planet.osm.
- GPS Sight, a popular Openmoko project under LGPL.
- GPS-Trail a simple trail logger.
- roadmap mapping system using freely available maps (US census TIGER, DGLib, shapefiles).
- Navit a car navigation system with routing engine.
- Openmoko AGPS UI project.
- Orrery, a Openmoko project for displaying the night sky.
- qpegps qtopia (arm PDA) based map viewer with gps features
- QMapControl Qtopia based mapping widget. Displays maps and custom data, also other widgets can be bound to coordinates. GPS parser for the gllin output included.
- TangoGPS mapping program. Downloads maps on demand and caches them, very efficient. Works very well.