http://www.openstreetmap.org/ is an map, contributed to by users.
All that is required is a GPS with the ability to log tracks. (or other means of positioning)
These tracks are later annotated using either personal knowledge, or notes taken at the time, to add roads, canals, or other features to the map. (They cannot be copied from commercial maps, as this is a breach of copyright and or terms and conditions).
The Neo1973 GPS is quite adequate for this.
This article defines the OpenStreetMap Application, an application designed for the OpenMoko platform. This is a Native Finger-Based application.
|Advanced mapper||Wants credit||Specifically makes journeys for the purpose of mapping, taking voice or other notes as they go along|
|Basic mapper||Willing to help, but wants anonymity||Will select mode of transport they are using at any time - car, bike, train, may occasionally enter placenames either by voice notes or keyboard.|
|Helper||Willing to turn on application, wants anonymity||Willing to contribute only if they don't have to do anything|
- 'Basic Mapper' When connected to free internet, ask user to enter details for any locations they may have tagged, upload to anonymiser server.
- 'Advanced Mapper' When connected to the users PC, upload tracklogs and any voice notes (with tags of their locations) so they can use in their map editor
- 'Helper' On connection to somewhere with free internet, upload track logs.
- These are then anonymised by waiting up to a month, and uploading to openstreetmap.
- Optionally omit last few dozen metres of the tracks before phone becomes stationary.
For the advanced user, replacing this application with an integrated mapping editor, to enable viewing and editing of the existing openstreetmap would be of use.
This will need to interact with the GPS preferences application.
Questions and Answers
English • العربية • Български • Česky • Dansk • Deutsch • Esperanto • Eesti • Español • فارسی • Suomi • Français • עברית • Magyar • Italiano • 한국어 • Nederlands • Norsk (bokmål) • Polski • Português • Română • Русский • Svenska • Slovenčina • Українська • 中文(中国大陆) • 中文(台灣) • Euskara • Català