Period 2011-05-01 to 2011-08-31
Welcome to the 2011-09-01 edition of the Free Your Phone / Openmoko Community Updates. We are a loosely bound group of people originating from the developers and users of the pioneering Neo1973 and Neo FreeRunner products from Openmoko Inc. Nowadays most efforts are around free software distributions for a range of mobile phones, including the original Neo products. There are also several spin-off companies inspired by the Openmoko Inc's work.
- Video of the Freerunner_Navigation_Board_v3 production posted @ YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngyhKr3yTO8
- GTA04 has now several early adopter boards with UMTS and OMAP3 hardware functional. Stay tuned for this motherboard update to original Neo phones.
- Latest GTA04 status update and a call for kernel drivers help: http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/gta04-owner/2011-August/000230.html
- For those that haven't followed up FreeSmartphone.Org proceedings on other than Openmoko phones: Palm Pre has seen several updates to the FSO installer script (http://git.freesmartphone.org/?p=utilities.git;a=tree;f=palmpre), and all in all there is some level of support to eight smartphones at the moment (http://git.freesmartphone.org/?p=cornucopia.git;a=tree;f=fsogsmd/conf)
Distributions lists releases and other significant updates in distributions that have some support for the Openmoko devices.
Debian is a universal operating system used on many embedded devices, servers and home computers. Using Debian on the FreeRunner gives access to the huge army of software packaged in the Debian repositories, already compiled for the Neo's ARM(v4) processor. Moreover, one can build one's own source files for programs without having to learn the OpenEmbedded way. For an existing Debian/Ubuntu user, choosing Debian for Neo FreeRunner makes phone a very familiar, trustworthy and flexible place to hack in.
- Latest SHR testing release for Neo FreeRunner is called 2011.1rc4 from 20110513, and not in the usual shr-testing location: http://build.shr-project.org/shr-testing2011.1/images/om-gta02/
- Latest stable QtMoko release is v35 from April: http://qtmoko.sourceforge.net/
- Latest MeeGo CE release for Nokia N900 is the "Summer Release" 1.7.2011: http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900
Aurora is an UI for FSO2 middleware that tries to replace Zhone/Zhone2. It is currently primarily offered as SHR distribution based images for Palm Pre series of phones
FoxtrotGPS is a tangoGPS fork adding multiple improvements
Most important and change making mails on the mailing lists, blogs etc.. Coolest hacks, screenshots, themes etc..
- Tiago Vaz blogged about his VoIP setup in Neo FreeRunner: http://tiagovaz.org/posts/VoIP_in_Neo_Freerunner_with_Qtmoko_and_Linphone/
- Timo Jyrinki blogged about free software smartphone distributions overall, MeeGo and FSO middlewares: http://losca.blogspot.com/2011/08/meego-ce-and-freesmartphoneorg.html
- 2011-11-11-13 FSCONS - one track is "Development for Embedded Systems". Last year there was a presentation about Neo FreeRunner's history.
- 2011-12-02-04 Open Hard- and Software Workshop(german) | Time and place of the third OHSW have been fixed.