Latest revision as of 07:20, 1 November 2010
 Period 2010-09-01 to 2010-10-31
Debian is a universal operating system used on many embedded devices, servers and home computers. Using Debian on the FreeRunner gives access to the huge army of software packaged in the Debian repositories, already compiled for the Neo's ARM(v4) processor. Moreover, one can build one's own source files for programs without having to learn the OpenEmbedded way. For an existing Debian/Ubuntu user, choosing Debian for Neo FreeRunner makes phone a very familiar, trustworthy and flexible place to hack in.
 New Applications
APRS tracker and communicator for mobile devices. It turns your Neo into bidirectional APRS unit and besides others it allows you to track your position, do text messaging, object creation or display stations around.
 Application Updates
|Gamerunner GnuBoy 0.8
A gameboy emulator which runs very nice, even with sound (sometimes it freezes, then you have to press the A button and everything is ok). You need the gamerunner distro or a gamepad to use it. Using frameskip to run smooth at 320*240 pixel. In second controll mode in gamerunner you can use savestates by pressing top right corne to save and left lower corner to load. Select is right lower corner.
FoxtrotGPS is an offshoot of Marcus Bauer's excellent Free & Open Source tangoGPS application, with a focus on cooperation and fostering community innovation. 1.0.0 announcement.
 General News
Most important and change making mails on the mailing lists, blogs etc.. Coolest hacks, screenshots, themes etc..
- GPRS on FreeRunner is unstable? Too many connections hang the modem? Unfixable? NO MORE! Our magician lindi has conjured a tc (traffic control) command that makes the data flow more stable even under heavy load. Huge thanks! http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/2264#comment:21 (use the lower one for faster operation)
- Debian wiki now includes generic view on the multitude of Openmoko related kernel branches out there: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner#KernelBranchesinAutumn2010
- State of upstreaming kernel parts was updated by Lars-Peter Clausen and others in this thread: http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/openmoko-kernel/2010-September/011205.html - as always, help is welcome in the land of the kernel!
 Spin-off Hardware Projects
- Another spin-off project possible: Always Innovating MiniBook would be a great basis for a free phone - it just lacks a GSM/3G chip... for now: http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2010-October/063358.html
- Openmoko Beagle Hybrid moving to OMAP4/Cortex-A9: http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2010-October/063437.html
 Event News
- 2010-10-12 Next "FYP.de / Openmoko Stammtisch" in Munich, Germany 
- 2010-12-04 German Open Hard&Software Workshop on 4th/5th December 2010 in Munich; will cover Openmoko, Beagle Board, Arduino, OpenPandora, ...; still in planing phase; to stay and participate in planning loop please subscribe to: http://lists.goldelico.com/mailman/listinfo/open-hard-software-event
- 2011-01-24 Mobile FOSS MiniConf at LCA2011 announced a call for papers that closes on Friday 22nd October 2010. So submit something about OpenMoko today!
- 2011-02-05/06 FOSDEM 2011 calls for Main Speakers and Devrooms  that closes on Saturday 16th October 2010. So submit something about OpenMoko today!