|Need improvement: This article or section needs improving. Feel free to add content.|
Period 2010-06-01 to 2010-06-30
Debian (http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Debian) is a universal operating system used on many other embedded devices, and also on home computers. Using Debian on the FreeRunner gives access to the Huge army of software packaged in the Debian repositories, already compiled for the Neo's arm(v4) processor. Moreover, one can build one's own source files for programs without having to learn the OpenEmbedded way. For an existing Debian/Ubuntu user, choosing Debian for Neo FreeRunner makes phone a very familiar, trustworthy and flexible place to hack in.
SHR is a community driven GNU/Linux distribution for smartphones based on OpenEmbedded using E17 (illume) as window manager and own gui apps on top of FSO. After hopefully lucky incident we have finally switched to new kernel (based on 22.214.171.124, KMS enabled):
DWDwetter 0.2.8 is an application to get free (only registration), available worldwide Weather information from DWD and view this in a Viewer Window. Possibility for automatically update files delivered on ftp-server of DWD.
FoxtrotGPS is a tangoGPS fork adding multiple improvements (see changelog)
|MC Navi 0.2.10
MC Navi is GPS navigation system aimed at portable devices like Neo Freerunner using OpenStreetMap as map source. It uses Enlightenment Foundation Libraries (EFL) for graphic GUI, so it is fast and light. In future it may be ported to other devices. This version needs new map If you want to use new features. New version of MC Navi should be more stable now and have some improvements:
- Gennady Kupava announced his Neo FreeRunner overclocking experiments with enclosed performance tests. Overclocked u-boot images are here. Read full announcement before use them. You should use them at your own risk!
- Christoph Mair has announced that he is developing second version of navigation board for FreeRunner. If you wan to upgrade your smartphone write an email Christoph, if there will be enough interest, a first "production run" will be made. Initial price shoul be 75-80€ but this probably depends on how many devices will be made.
- Gennady Kupava again amazed us with his new series of file system performance tests. Full message is available on community mailing list archive. The file systems tested were: btrfs,nilfs2,ext2,ext3,ext4,reiserfs,jfs,xfs. Or if you are just curious, you can peek into results table.
- Regarding Al Johnson's email, apparently HTC Corporation is trying to patent application for Joerg's Y-cable. Short abstract shows very similar design. Any legal savvy volunteers to point out mistakes to US Patent & Trademarks office?
- As David "leviathan" Lanzendöfer writes to gta02-core mailing list, new idea was born, to pilot a new Openmoko like platform, based on SAMSUNG-Omnia. The plan is to provide full hardware support by the upstream kernel, and a full SHR-userspace on the shipped phone. The target customers will be business employees, but also private users.
- Recently a lot is happening on email@example.com, initiated by Sveinung Kvilhaugsvik and mainly caused by Thibaut Girka who is merging upstreaming a lot of patches for FreeRunner.