Everybody loves Community Updates, but that's a huge endeavour for one person to tackle. So let us try a little social experiment here: community written community update. I will post an outlined list of bullet points, and leave it to everybody else to elaborate along the following editorial guidelines:
- Include everything that was hot on a mailing lists at some point since launch.
- Limit each point to three sentences and one link.
MinhHaDuong 14:20, 15 September 2008 (UTC)
Software and distributions
- Dale's DFU script started
- FDOM started
- Gentoo started
- Several classic games ported: Duke Nukem 3D, Battle for Wesnoth
- Debian fso-pkg team is getting full steam ahead
- Qtopia 4.3.2 released
- Google SoC projects released: gestures (includes autorotates the screen !),
News from the git
- The html access to downloads.openmoko.org that provided 2007.2 has been
- 2008.8 + daily updates is getting better and better, working its way towards
a bug fix release (milestone tagged 2008.9 in the trac)
- Om shuffling git branches around is about done, .asu.dev is dead wood now.
- New "head" development branch is only basesystem+installer (no phone stack
preloaded, even less applications)
- FSO Milestone 3 released
- Planned architecture for next release is Tichy + Paroli + framework .
- Redesigned wiki Main page in time for the Digg day
- Deleting lots of old/unused wiki pages
- Introduced wiki navigation boxes, working on categories
- Learning to use Widimedia. Postponed CSS revision, wondering how to deal
with multilinguism better
- More blog added to the planet
- GPS TTFF bug was fixed soon after launch (what happens to the first batch
units then, is there a way / necessity to do the hardware fix ?)
- Keyboard choices in 2008.2 explained
- Workaround found for suspend corrupts SD card partition table (??? Slow the
GLAmo clock ???)
- Echo cancelation turned on in TI chip (is that undocumented function in ?)
- Using Bluetooth headset is still impossible/hard to do
- Sound is still awfully complicated (alsa.state remains black magic)
- Power management: progress but still far from goal of autonomy in days (full
discharge vs. forced load issue, LEDs and buttons use model still in flux, charging while off, fine-grained subsystems sleep...)
- Repeated messages on the mailing lists
- The trac is getting crowded, bug reports numbers are exploding
- community-repository is slow to take off: orrery, diversity-wifi, mofi,
moko-sudoku, comic-reader, only omview has been added in September.
- A classified section has been started to sell/buy on the wiki
- There was a job offer for an X dev
- The Paris meeting was a big success with ~80 attendees.
- FreeRunners still seem to sell like hotcakes, they are frequently out of