Currently there is no such version planned.
The reason is simple:
Openmoko is about free phones.
We are currently not aware of any carrier using CDMA and supplying R-UIM (smardcards, similar to SIM cards in GSM networks).
Every phone needs to be provisioned by the carrier itself.
Most CDMA phones do not even have a R-UIM slot it seems.
Thus a CDMA Version is currently not feasible.
This page is to suggest the possibility of a CDMA version of the OpenMoko and see if there would be any interest in accomplishing this:
Leave your nickname here if you are interested in a CDMA version.
- dyous87 -- CDMA support for carriers such as Verizon wireless is all I would need to get this phone. If this comes out I would get it without having to think twice.
- SteveoSupremo -- I am willing and able to do hardware design. And if FIC wants it I will sign a NDA.
- Ryuch 06:48, 26 October 2007 (CEST)
- Andronov Philipp 27 October 2007 it would be greate to have CDMA smartphone
- brusstoc Nov 2007 - I am interested. (if this is an 'open' phone, then we should not eliminate carriers just because they are short-sighted, right?)
- artlex Nov 27th 2007 - Now that Verizon has decided to open up their CDMA network to all device makers in 2008 (for a 'small' fee), isn't this very desirable? In my area Verizon coverage is superior to all others. (http://news.vzw.com/news/2007/11/pr2007-11-27.html)